Neighbors have hens and they are NOISY

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in the country on less than 5 acres and have many chickens and a rooster. For your sleep problems, consider using a fan to drown out the noise, I’m surprised that hens are that noisy though, unless there is something else going on.. like a perceived predator? Def talk with your neighbors, maybe offer to help relocate their coop if needed... good luck!

I'm not bitter at all. And why would I move? I moved into a neighborhood where I'm in close proximity of others. I havent complained about loud music being played, kids screaming in the backyards, or dogs barking. If you want to complain about noise then YOU move.

And we are actually moving to 26 acres. But who knows who will be here after I move. My neighbor may be getting rid of chicken noises and trading it for someone who likes to have parties on the weekend. We dont have a noise ordinance. They can play as loud as they want. My point is, in a neighborhood, you dont get to control the type of noise if its within legal limits.
If you're not bitter, why are you wasting my and your time. If you can't give positive possible solutions to our problem why keep telling mento move? I don't complain about the noises in my neighborhood that aren't CONSTANT. Even you just said that if you move to the country, you could get a noise that keeps you up all the time. In fact, maybe you will and it will teach you empathy. The chickens are CONSTANT noise and I am on here looking for constructive options for both of us. never did I say I am asking them to get rid of them or have I filed a noise complaint. If you can't offer those, stop.

Hi! I read the whole thread to try to be useful and not repeat.

A few things to consider:
A 5 chicken flock means they might be personally attached to the hens- makes it harder to get rid of some.
But it also means they might be very aware of who is noisy and who is quiet. It's possible they are more attached to the quiet ones and wouldn't mind rehoming the noisy ones.
Also, if it's been 3 years and the same hens, some may have stopped laying. Or will slow down soon. It mostly depends on the breeds they have. I've read some lay like crazy then basically stop after about 2 years. Others lay less but longer. Maybe they'd be happy to get rid of a noisy poor-laying hen who makes the neighbor unhappy.

Their responds depends a lot on how the owner feels:
1 about keeping the chicken project going,
2 about their individual hens, and
3 about you. And
(4 about eating chickens, but that's getting into dangerous territory for you to bring it up. Maybe best mention "rehoming" instead of "get rid" or "kill/eat". People have chickens for different reasons.)

One suggestion i have not heard is fencing the free ranging hens AWAY from your side during the day.

Also, hens and even roos' noise levels and schedules vary a lot. My landlady used to have a roo who crowed at 2am, 4am, 5:30, etc. The 2 and 4 am crowing were harder to deal with than the firehouse nextdoor. And THEY made a lot of noise banging metal (repairing firetrucks?) Even late at night with blazing spotlights.

If the neighbor cares a lot about eggs and not so much about the individual hens, she might switch to a quieter breed. It would take half a year for the new babies to start laying, though. If the neighbor wants to be cooperative in this way, you might need to continue being patient for a while. Craigslist is a good way to find a new home for the older hens, before the new ones are ready to go outside. I see likely downsides to this plan. 1. Chickens added, maybe none subtracted. 2. Maybe new chickens are just as noisy.

If your neighbor's hens are inside at 530 am, the owners can likely add insulation that would block a lot of sound until they are let out at a later hour. Even a layer of shingles on the outside would probably help.

And here's a terribly horrible suggestion that is very unneighborly. Attract predators. This option to be reserved for much later, and definitely after conversation plus some months time for neighbor to act on conversation.

And here's a terribly horrible suggestion that is very unneighborly. Attract predators. This option to be reserved for much later, and definitely after conversation plus some months time for neighbor to act on conversation.
umno.gif
That's just so wrong, please do not do this.

I appreciate your input but when you add condescending notes insinuating I am an idiot or ignorant to the realities of suburban living, I read it with a grain of salt. If you really don't think I am telling the truth, which I am, then no comment is needed. Mentioning about keeping them in the coop longer, that could be helpful for my situation with the neighbors. Open your mind and understand that maybe I am in a different situation that you could have helped. The chickens are loud and they are constant it is not the same as a mower going for 30 minutes to an hour or a dog barking for 5 minutes. Please hear that it is loud and I have recordings and I have proof and I have frequency I just don't want to have to go to the city. I was looking for other options that I could go to them with as a neighbor that cares.
I so appreciate you wanting to remain in good terms with your neighbors. There just isn’t enough of that in the world these days. That being said, you should be able to enjoy your home and sleep past 5:30.

Since fencing isn’t an option, could a nice, thick hedge work? Maybe suggest they split the cost with you?

How you approach the subject will make a world of difference, but I know you know that. I sincerely hope you and your neighbors can find a peaceful solution.
Love eggs but not going to ask for them. Thanks though!
I wouldn’t either - that’s tacky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom