Neighbors have hens and they are NOISY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Chicken Tired:

I understand your pain. My chickens are rather quiet so far, but I have airplanes constantly going over my house, making sounds at 60-70+ Db, ever since a new runway was built at the international airport 10 miles from my house. I was not on the "flight path" when I bought the house. If I complain, people in my area have called me names and told me to move. They all sit inside in their air conditioning, but I actually like spending time outside!

Unlike my plane situation, there are ways either you or your neighbor could block some of the noise from reaching your house. How about planting some trees or high bushes as a barrier between your house and the chickens? For blocking sound lower to the ground, you could build a brick or stone retaining wall. Any physical object will block some sound. If the sound is disturbing your sleep, you could think about getting thicker/ multi-paned windows -- some are rated for superior sound barrier qualities. Curtains will additionally block sound.

I ive next door to backyard chicken owners. They seem to be responsible and clean. There's not a smell and we haven't see an uptick in predators. However, that sweet clucking always talked about wakes me at 530AM and goes on most of the day. Even with my windows closed, you can hear them loudly. No, no rooster. Hens are loud too. I'm tired and my work calls are full of chicken talk. Owners may think it is sweet but your neighbors likely do not. Imagine if my dog barked all day starting at 530AM. I'd have so many people on my back so why is it excused for chickens? .Please hear me... chickens are NOT meant for suburbia and land less than 5acres (not talking regs, talking courtesy to those around you.) I am at a loss. What can I say to my neighbor without damaging relationships? Any suggestions on how to mitigate the noise?
Welcome to BYC.
You should talk to them. Maybe they could move the coop and run further from your house.
I happen to know that my neighbors love the sound is my chickens but I live in the country (on far less than 5 acres.)

Hi Chicken Tired:

I understand your pain. My chickens are rather quiet so far, but I have airplanes constantly going over my house, making sounds at 60-70+ Db, ever since a new runway was built at the international airport 10 miles from my house. I was not on the "flight path" when I bought the house. If I complain, people in my area have called me names and told me to move. They all sit inside in their air conditioning, but I actually like spending time outside!

Unlike my plane situation, there are ways either you or your neighbor could block some of the noise from reaching your house. How about planting some trees or high bushes as a barrier between your house and the chickens? For blocking sound lower to the ground, you could build a brick or stone retaining wall. Any physical object will block some sound. If the sound is disturbing your sleep, you could think about getting thicker/ multi-paned windows -- some are rated for superior sound barrier qualities. Curtains will additionally block sound.
Thank you for you thoughts and sorry about the planes. That must be tough. Unfortunately we live in an HOA world that is restricted on fencing type, etc. No privacy, hence not thinking it is right for these noisy chickens. We have shrubs on that side but will look for something that may block sound better. We did spend 30k on new windows (high quality) on the back of the house last summer in hopes that it would help but it didn't enough. I also like to be outside and open windows. Most of my neighbors have their houses sealed up and ac running (including chicken owners) but I bought the yard to enjoy, not just the house. Take care!

Maybe they can move the coop. I have a neighbor who hates my rooster...so we started building a new coop on the opposite side of our house, hopefully it muffles the sound enough to keep him happy. Our 'summer coop' is really meant for the meat birds anyways, and to be fair, it is pretty close to his house. My roosters are the only ones who make any kind of noise at all, I don't know why some chickens are so loud and annoying. I don't mind hearing my rooster crow from time to time but I can see how it could bother someone else, especially if it were constantly making noise. I hope you can find a solution to your problem which allows you your peace and quiet and also keeps your peace with the neighbors.
Thank you! I certainly don't mind the egg song or an occasional noise. I get it. These things just rarely stop.

Some people will be upset just about everything, hating children and their noises, animals etc.

But in this case I did not have the impression that the OP was unreasonable or hateful.
Thank you again! I like to think I am and have been reasonable and appreciate ALL the possible(kind) suggestions. You never know which will work until options are suggested.

I would actually be a little upset if someone suggested I keep something else and get rid of my chickens. I paid for my house. I'm legally allowed to have chickens. My neighbor hates the chickens noises and my kids noises. If you dont want noise then buy something on land away from other people.
I'd be upset if someone had an issue with me and didn't try at least to come with some suggestions even if they didn't all work for me.

Hi there. I'm so sorry you're going through this. May I ask about the fence between your properties? How tall is it and what is it made of?

I know my girls can be loud when they get to going, and sometimes they ALL get to going at the same time. We were careful about where the coop is located and have made much effort to buffer sound with trees, shrubs, etc. I think that's just being considerate to the neighbors, but my flock doesn't make a bunch of racket all day. I know because I work @ home and if they did it would me annoy me too.

Thank you for you thoughts and sorry about the planes. That must be tough. Unfortunately we live in an HOA world that is restricted on fencing type, etc. No privacy, hence not thinking it is right for these noisy chickens. We have shrubs on that side but will look for something that may block sound better. We did spend 30k on new windows (high quality) on the back of the house last summer in hopes that it would help but it didn't enough. I also like to be outside and open windows. Most of my neighbors have their houses sealed up and ac running (including chicken owners) but I bought the yard to enjoy, not just the house. Take care!
Well shoot, there goes any fencing changes.

Or if you want to keep loud animals who's noise can't be controlled, maybe you should move to the country. Unhelpful suggestions can be kept to yourself or you sound like those obnoxious chickens. Bitter much?
I'm not bitter at all. And why would I move? I moved into a neighborhood where I'm in close proximity of others. I havent complained about loud music being played, kids screaming in the backyards, or dogs barking. If you want to complain about noise then YOU move.

And we are actually moving to 26 acres. But who knows who will be here after I move. My neighbor may be getting rid of chicken noises and trading it for someone who likes to have parties on the weekend. We dont have a noise ordinance. They can play as loud as they want. My point is, in a neighborhood, you dont get to control the type of noise if its within legal limits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom