Neighbors' Pesky Dogs and Invisible Fence

I am not "afraid" of dogs, but do pay close attention to their body language and behaviors, and the behavior you describe does point to a potentially dangerous dog(s). If the neighbors agree to move their invisible fence back a bit, THEN could u Also erect a physical fence? Even though an animal CAN run through an invisible or electric fence, the neighbor dogs may never do so since they know it is there. But still, what a stressful situation to have to endure. I hope you can find a solution that gives you peace of mind that you and your animals are secure and safe.

The cattle prod idea just made me think of this. I know joggers that carry a stun gun to defend against possible aggressive dogs. No they dont actually use the stun gun on the animal. But ive been told by people who have actually done so, that zapping the stun gun in the air so the dog can hear it causes dogs (and other animals too) to turn tail and run. I still think an actual barrier fence is better than zapping a stun gun in the air, and it is also likely the dogs might eventually learn to ignore the sound. But still may be worth a try if u currently have no other viable options.

Maybe ask the neighbor if they would consider putting up an actual fence that you would help pay for or help construct. Thats what my neighbor and I did and it has worked well. We used wooden posts, horse wire and put boards on top and bottom. It’s a nice looking fence that doesn’t block anyone’s view.

Ok, so I also live in the stix, have a neighbor next door, and I have an electric fence. So here are my thoughts. First, I HATE aggressive dogs. Mine is 100% non aggressive, but I will try to be diplomatic.

If they have installed a real invisible fence (underground) then they truly can’t move it. It would cost like $1,000. If they have a ‘radius’ fence, then you should be very concerned because those break constantly.

Once you develop a good relationship with the owners (they’re new?) then maybe you can mention your concern about their dog and see where it goes.

I don’t think you can ask them to move their fence when it is on their property and there has never been an incident. This is sad but I think it’s true. One of the benefits of country living is doing whatever you want in your property.

Again, I hate aggressive dogs and I am so sorry for your plight.

Oh, I understand the culture dynamics going on! I lived in Richmond for two years and was always the "damn Yankee".

I agree taking them some treats, or fresh eggs, and asking if they're open to moving back the invisible fence line is a good way to go. The fact you've chatted with them before, so this won't be your first conversation, also helps. Don't judge their lax attitudes, perhaps be a bit self-deprecating. "I get startled by the dogs coming so close. Would you be open to moving back their invisible fence a few feet?"

I know others may think this approach is wussy, but I also know the importance of keeping the peace. And to southern BYC members, please don't take offense. I know many Yankees who moved south and love it! Richmond just wasn't for me.

Ha! I'm glad you understand. I do love the south (earned my undergrad and grad degrees here and fell in love with the area) and the people are mostly great, just like anywhere else. But there have been several culture clashes when it comes to managing animals--not judgmental but just see things differently based on my own experiences.

We've been coming up with the best rhetoric for asking so that it is polite, respectful, and as you say, self-deprecating (very good at the latter). My concern would be their inability/unwillingness to train the dogs per the new boundary when they're used to the old one. In other words, I'd be worried I'd make it actually more likely the dogs will break on through to the other side :rolleyes:

I am not "afraid" of dogs, but do pay close attention to their body language and behaviors, and the behavior you describe does point to a potentially dangerous dog(s). If the neighbors agree to move their invisible fence back a bit, THEN could u Also erect a physical fence? Even though an animal CAN run through an invisible or electric fence, the neighbor dogs may never do so since they know it is there. But still, what a stressful situation to have to endure. I hope you can find a solution that gives you peace of mind that you and your animals are secure and safe.
One of the dogs, a hound mix, seems to just play off the other more aggressive one, but is more excitable than murderous in his body language. I don't trust him in a pack mentality, but alone, he's timid, so I'm confident we could get him to back off. The other, a Rottweiler/St. Bernard/boxer mix, looks as if he is fantasizing about ripping yours and your grandmother's throat out whenever you are in eyesight. He bares his teeth, nonstop growls and almost froths at the mouth, his body is very rigid, back fur up, head down, and tail wagging very quickly/stiffly (not in the happy go lucky snoopy way our dog does. It is very different than a typical "Hey! who are you! where are you going!" type barking neighborhood dog. Makes my heart go to my throat--especially because he's literal inches away with no visible barrier, should I be using my driveway.

I wouldn't be able to erect a fence on their side of the driveway--maybe our side, however then our driveway would be on the other side of the fence. It's a weird dynamic. We share our driveway with another neighbor who already has a decorative fence up. And the aggressive dog neighbor's front lawn hits our driveway as well. I doubt they'd agree to put up a fence on their side since they used to have one, tore it down, and also took out all the trees around their house when they moved in.

I'm thinking about getting bear spray or a taser to bring when checking the mail. I've thought about bringing a baseball bat but the optics wouldn't be the best...
Go with the spray, it shoots out quite a distance.

This is a very tough situation. They obviously don't care about their dogs behavior, since it's been going on quite some time, even when you were in their house.
It would be a shame to have to get aggressive yourself by pepper spraying their pet, but I'm wondering if one squirt would do the trick.....maybe after one more interaction with the owners communicating your concern for your own safety.

Back
Top Bottom