neighbor's pest (rooster)

Well, different customs in different places.
Where I come from , keeping other peoples' property is stealing.

Quote:
Ummm, just curious, given your views on humanity, why you're on a forum where there are lots of humans, most with strong opinions & viewpoints?

Quote:
If my dog or rooster went to the neighbor's house and caused trouble I would fully expect someone to dispose of it. That's just the way it work around here.

That is the way it works around here as well. Big farming area, and if my dog were to get lose, we would fully expect that something may be done. That is just part of the way life is here in this area. We have to protect our food and also our way to make money. That is why our dog is ALWAYS on a leash.

Idaho Statutes

TITLE 25

ANIMALS

CHAPTER 28

DOGS

25-2806. LIABILITY FOR LIVESTOCK AND POULTRY KILLED BY DOGS. The owner, possessor, or harborer of any dog or animal that kills, worries, or wounds any livestock and poultry which are raised and kept in captivity for domestic or commercial purposes, is liable to the owner of the same for the damages and costs of suit, to be recovered before any court of competent jurisdiction:

1. In the prosecution of actions under the provisions of this section it is not necessary for the plaintiff to show that the owner, possessor, or harborer of such dog or other animal had knowledge of the fact that such dog or other animal would kill or wound livestock or poultry which are raised and kept in captivity for domestic or commercial purposes.

2. Any person, on finding any dog, not on the premises of its owner or possessor, worrying, wounding, or killing any livestock or poultry which are raised and kept in captivity for domestic or commercial purposes, may, at the time of so finding said dog, kill the same, and the owners thereof can sustain no action for damages against any person so killing such dog.

I know this is a little off-topic because we are talking about roosters, but, with the above said information, would you rather me shoot your dog and bury it and not say anything, or throw it on your porch and demand compensation? I pose the same question for dealing with the rooster.

Oh, come on. The rooster was attacking her rooster, and did so often. The little girl just reacted to protect her rooster. I'm sure most of us would have done the same. My black lab killed a dog that was right by our house and we live on 10 acres. I don't blame my dog for protecting his territory. No, I did not go to the owners. They should have taken better care of their pet to ensure that it did not stray onto our property. My dog does not go "looking" to fight, but is a darn good watchdog. JMHO

Even if I wanted to go to the owners, I don't know who the dog belonged to.

Last edited:
I would want my animal back (preferably not THROWN)
and you would be entitled to compensation. It would be my responsibility to make sure my animal did not harm someone elses', even if I was ordinarily a responsible owner. But I would want to know what happened to it.
Maybe the owner of the rooster could have been made to see the consequences of not keeping his animals on his own property if it had been returned or he had been told about it.

I've been reading all the posts, and wasn't going to comment, which I won't on the actual killing of the rooster. However, I DO feel strongly that the owner should have been notified. Regardless of whether or not they knew he was flying over and being a pest, the roo was STILL theirs, and the owner(s) most definitely should be notified. JMO

Just chiming in with my experience:
Many years ago when I was first married we had two dogs that would run into the woods if given the chance. We expended a lot of effort to keep them from doing so and a lot of effort trying to get them back home ASAP. As soon as we were able, we fenced our backyard. If anyone had harmed our dogs because they were destroying property I truly believe that we would have been at fault for not controlling the dogs. I would have been sad for the loss of my pets, but I think the law here in CT would have sided with the property owner. I know dogs aren't roosters but I'm siding with Jared on this one.
Headed out to feed my hens, one of whom came under the fence from the neighbors' yard because he wasn't bothering to lock them at night anymore. I never returned her and I never told him.

Back
Top Bottom