Neighbor's roaming dogs?

kfisher

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 18, 2011
Navarre
What can I do about them? They have freely roamed the neighborhood since the people moved in, but today one of them got a chick
sad.png
Of course this is partically my fault because I had them in the front yard, they are in a boarder in the garage as they are only 5 weeks. I've heard that animal control in my area doesnt pick up strays... What do you suggest? These peoples kids also roam the streets unsupervised
sad.png
The chickens will be going into the backyard in a coop this weekend and will be staying in their boorder which is predator proof (its a dog crate) but what do I do if they come into my 6' privacy fence and get a chicken again?

Secure the chickens in a backyard coop/run. Put up some electric fence. If you are permitted to shoot in your location then do so if the dog(s) attack your chickens. If you can catch them and take them to a shelter then that is another option. As for the kids there is little you can do.If they are in danger report it to CPS/POLICE.

First thing, go talk to them, tell them you are having problems, ask for compensation for what they have killed already (if it was on your property). Then, if they dogs come back around, call ac, don't go by what others have said (we live in the sticks and don't have ac, but if you have it call them). If they still don't fix the problem sss. I always warn people first, or ask them to keep their dog on their property, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But, i do give them a chance.

We did talk to them, its hard because all ofour street is all really good friends. The man was speechless that his dog could have done this, and the woman said she was very sorry and said they would replace it but I told her not to since we were both at fault. Plus I had bought extra in case I lost some. I need to read up on the rules in our area about animals on your property. We live in a subdivision and I do know we have a leash law, its posted at the enterance, I'll have to see if there is a number to call. I have no problem telling these people that if their dogs do it again I will do whatever I am allowed to do to protect my animals while on my property.

Quote:
Yes, the dog was in my front yard. My husband walked out front to tell their little dog to shut up and go home and when he did their larger dog was standing in our yard with a chick in its mouth. We are constantly having to yell at these dogs to go home and asking the kids to pick up their dogs poop out of our yard, the parents are never outside so you cant ask them to do it.

Hard situation. Good for you for confronting them. At least now they are aware of the issue and if they choose not to keep their animals contained, then, well they are responsible.

If there is a leash law posted, then AC is the way to start. Take pics of the dogs in your yard, sounds like it is almost a daily thing. Call AC and explain the situation. They will have to give a warning and then start issuing tickets, which gets expensive. Money talks in this economy. If you don't want to do that, then you will have to fence and fence some more and put up with dog poo in your front yard.

Back
Top Bottom