Neighbours:TheChickenEquivalent ep. 3now up!Bring your brown paper bag

magicpigeon

Songster
9 Years
Oct 9, 2010
Why all the broodies?

It was a sweltering, 40 - degree (celsius) day at Longview. All the chicks were sleeping under the lantana bushes, their necks stretched out and eyes shut. Even Mama Tweet was taking a nap, something she NEVER does when her chicks are out in the open. Distantly, she was aware of a screen door slamming and keys being jammed into a lock. SCRAAAAAATCH!! The roosters called the hens over to enjoy a handful of delicious seeds.

IMG_0903.jpg

Tweet took this oppurtunity to infiltrate the "border" disguised as a teen on the rebound....

IMG_0982.jpg

She was in!

IMG_0978.jpg

Quickly, she called all her chicks over.

IMG_0971.jpg

The subordinate hens and chicks ran away, fearing an all mighty thwack with her powerful silkie crest. Even mighty Mister Buk Buk was defenceless against the swarm of fluffy bullets!

IMG_0973.jpg

Back at the baby coop, trouble was brewing.

IMG_0981.jpg

Broody pigeon Homer (not homing, named after Homer Simpson) was causing a ruckus in the penthouse #2! She had laid an egg, and was absolutely outraged when it was duly removed by food/scratch/bathing sack Numero Un. This game N. 1 a rather nasty scratch on her index finger and taught Homer a few choice cuss words she did not know, and could now use when arguing loudly with Miley (pigeon #2).

IMG_0984.jpg

And in the little dove coop, the two broody ringnecks were fighting over a stick and a coke can. "It's mine! I found it!" Bobby screamed
"No, it's MINE! I laid the egg!" Charlie retorted which in fact, Numero Un knew this was a lie as the egg they were brooding is a pigeon egg
tongue.png

"The last time you laid an egg a chicken hatched out!!" Bobby retorted. "And it was the most HIDEOUS, WEIRDEST squab I have EVER seen. IT HAD HAIR ON IT'S LEGS!!!!!!!"
"Oh yeah?" Charlie sneered, "Why don't you come a little closer so my FOOT can HEAR YOU?!!!"

IMG_0983.jpg

In the old abandoned rabbit hutch, the two BFFs were squabbling with each other yet again. Sharing an odd number of eggs is never easy. Especially when your roomie steals them every time you get up to eat and drink. Ketchup clucked softly to her (day 14) clutch of ten. "It's okay," she soothed. "You'll be right with me!"
Jazz, instead, was counting her eggs. "WHAT?!! THREE?!!!" she puzzled. "I swear, this morning, I had six. I counted them just before I went out to drink------
"KETCHUP, YOU S$!&HEAD!!! YOU STOLE MY EGGS!!"
"Watch your language!" Ketchup warned, clucking menacingly. "The eggs will hear you! Think of the children!"
"There won't be any children when I'm DONE with YOU!"

IMG_1003.jpg

Numero Un could sense the storm brewing. Quickly, she removed four eggs from under Ketchup (sustaining a blood curdling screech) and stashed them under Jazz. Tomorrow didn't look promising, and neither did the day after. It seems that Numero Un watches too many soaps, or at least seems to have realised what a PIA broodies are. And note to Gritsar: you haven't seen NUTHIN', til you've seen a broody PIGEON.
tongue2.gif

Last edited:
Ah, what great pictures!
love.gif

However, don't look to me for saving. I've had 4 hours sleep and my back is killing me from bending over in front of the incubator encouraging the chicks to hurry up and hatch already.
tongue.png

Your birds are beautiful Magic. I've always liked "city doves" (pigeons).
smile.png

So cute - I have never wanted Silkies, but I must admit, this group caught my eye and got me to thinking....

Back
Top Bottom