Nerf gun war

Like you said common sense isn't common. My common sense tells me it's not ok to tell my kids to go on to somebody else's property, break into a building, and harm their animals. Common sense also tells me somebody stupid enough to think it's ok to do so only needs to talk to the police and not me.

I'm not gonna come home to a burglar and bake them a cake thinking it will make the world right.

I wouldn’t waste my time baking cookies for a bunch of children who tresspassed on my property, shot nerf guns at my animals, and basically broke into my coop to continue shooting at them after I put them inside. And after eating those delicious cookies that I wasted time baking and could have eaten myself, they would probably turn right back around and continue to shoot nerf guns at my chickens. Who provided eggs for those cookies that they stuffed themselves with.

and you said what to him about it? and yes, 5 and 7 year old with a nerf gun is kind of funny until you tell them you don't think so and stressed birds can be a health problem and it doesn't need to happen again.
instead of putting up fences try tearing down fences. We put a gate in your fence so the neighbors kids could come over. Call the police on my 5 and 7 year old without talking to me and no fence could be big enough. Then again, i'm in the south and we are friendly and neighborly. We are polite and considerate. When you told me that you don't think its cute and it cant happen again. I wound tell my boys, in front of you, that if they go over there again bothering the chicken your going to whip them and when they get home they would get another whipping.

Clearly you lack some common sense here. Talk to the neighbors, yes. But nerf guns can hurt and then the nerf dart can be dangerous to the chickens if they consume it. So, if after talking to the neighbors, this doesn't get resolved, your solution is to put a gate in to give the kids better access to the chickens, give the kids chickens of their own to take care of, and take down the fence so kids can have access to the chickens whenever they want?! Let's give the kids participation trophys too! Yea, no one is a loser! Nope, you talk to the parents and if it happens again, you call the cops. Clearly discipline is needed here, more than the parents are giving. Rewarding the bad behavior is what is wrong with this country now. Maybe the cops can scare the kids enough to not do it again

The kids will like a baby chick and you change your mind when its ours.
lacking common sense and human behavior.

My son and I shoot any cat that comes into our yard to poop in our garden and bother our chickens. If you were my neighbor and you gave my son a kitten as a pet, you just killed a kitten. A bothersome animal to someone will not be seen as a pet to them, even if you give them a cuddly baby. That animal would still be seen as a nuisance. Giving the kids chicks would be harming the chicks. Seriously, stop.

So if we take the nerf guns out of the equation.....just the problem of the kids trespassing and letting my animals out is bad enough.

I locked them up for a reason....and it's up to me when the will be let out. Not 2 kids who have no respect for my property and animals. If you aren't invited to my property keep off. Post those "No Trespassing" signs

No, obviously.
Put up no trespassing signs, but since they've already trespassed, I'd get some cheap cameras or game camera with video capability. You can call the sheriff.

You can also record with your cell phone in the meantime until you get game cameras. If you don't have a good relationship with your neighbor or feel uncomfortable, just let a Deputy handle the conversation with them.

I think that what @David61 is advocating is rehabilitation of the kids, not the parents. The kids are 5 and 7. They are still very young. If OP can befriend them, maybe get them into taking care of a chicken, the kids will not only not shoot the chickens, but may also grow up to be sensible, caring people. I agree with this theory. The only things these kids are learning from their parents is meanness and cruelty. Why not give them a taste and a model of how kind people act? Maybe the kids are too far gone and evil to be saved. . . but maybe they're not.

Back
Top Bottom