Nervous at dusk

Jensride09

Chirping
May 15, 2022
SC
Hi,
I’m still learning so sorry for dumb questions … my pullets have been here 3 weeks … we bought them as 11 week olds from a guy who kept them in a pasture …
..they now have a nice little producers pride predator proof coop and 10 ft run.
They free range only when I’m with them - they don’t like to go far from their home .
But, at dusk when I lock them up in their coop instead of going up in the box area on to the roosting bar .. they start frantically trying to get out and act very nervous . 2 birds did this from the beginning .. but this past week the other two are really pacing and begging me to let them out . I can not because the run is not PP . How can I help them settle ?
(In the am they always seem fine)

I have to put them in the coop at night…. But yes they get upset when they see I’ve shut the door
*It’s weird because they love being in the coop on the Sandy floor all day they go in and out .

A nightlight, preferably on a timer, will help with their nighttime jitters. Their whole world was recently turned upside down and they're being asked to sleep in a dark unknown area, with no sense of normal. Also know that I've had my flock for years, and at bedtime they ALWAYS put up a fuss (and my flock enters the coop of their own accord). It's as if they're cursing their bad luck that the sun went down. This behavior typically happens for about 15 to 20 minutes before they managed to settle in. They also wake me in the morning at what I call "false dawn" (about 15 or 20 minutes before the sun 'really' comes up), and THIS behavior typically lasts until I open the door and let them out of the coop.

A nightlight, preferably on a timer, will help with their nighttime jitters. Their whole world was recently turned upside down and they're being asked to sleep in a dark unknown area, with no sense of normal. Also know that I've had my flock for years, and at bedtime they ALWAYS put up a fuss (and my flock enters the coop of their own accord). It's as if they're cursing their bad luck that the sun went down. This behavior typically happens for about 15 to 20 minutes before they managed to settle in. They also wake me in the morning at what I call "false dawn" (about 15 or 20 minutes before the sun 'really' comes up), and THIS behavior typically lasts until I open the door and let them out of the coop.
Thank you , I feel bad for them :(

If I don’t have a timer, when do I keep a night light on for them ? I can put one on at dusk and turn it off at 10 pm ?

I think the light is a good idea. Chickens don't see very well in low light so it could simply be that they can't see what's going before they have a chance to settle in and that's stressing them out. My hens also spend a good 15 minutes getting adjusted and they know their routine well. I'm not sure how your coop is laid out but if there is a way of letting lots of natural light in then closing it up after they are settled you may be able to skip the artificial light. If light doesn't help pretty quickly then I'd look at their roosts in as well.

Is the coop well ventilated? It doesn't sound like there's much natural light, if any, inside the coop, so a lack of light (which they need in order to navigate onto the roost) and/or a lack of ventilation (1 sq ft per bird minimum, 24/7 - more if you're in a hotter climate) may make them not want to go into the coop at night.

Back
Top Bottom