1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Nervous Mother Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Moselle, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Moselle

Moselle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    OK - It's really me [​IMG] I'm getting nervous for my little pullets. They are 17 weeks old now and I finally got their next boxes set up, and at the same time noticed that my Australorp's comb and waddles have turned bright red. I feel a bit guilty since I've been dealing with "all day" morning sickness myself and haven't been as attentive to the girls as I should be. [​IMG]

So now that I have the nest boxes set up, should I stick a golf ball in them or wait until I've seen the first egg? They've all been digging in the sand in their run and laying down, but I assumed it's because it has been so hot. Are they really trying to make nests? If they layed an egg in the sand would they bury it?

2. Jades Chickens

Jades Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Sno.co.Wa.
    When they dig in the dirt or sand and lay down in it what they are probably doing is dust bathing, and sunning themselves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by