Nervous (still) about removing heat lamp

They were in the garage in a large brooder with a 250w lamp. I'm not sure of the temps under the lamp in the early morning hours. She was on the cold side for some reason, as far from the lamp as you could get, head tucked under her wing. I'm guessing she got too cold wandering around and it addled her thinking. She was the biggest and best feathered of the 4 and looked in fine health. I moved the food and water close to the lamp and added a space heater to the garage.
Are you certain that it was heat related? It sounds like an illness issue to me.

Ok thanks. Another question, it is supposed to be cloudy and rainy for the next five days, should I just leave the heat lamp on during the day through this period until the sun comes out? No way to maintain 70 to 75 if the lamp is not on
Yeah it won't hurt a thing!
When I usta hatch out chicks I never hatched them out past the end of July to avoid having to worry about their warmth in the winter months. But when I did, I usually didnt let them go without a heat lamp until they were closer to 2months old. Better safe than sorry! They need to be fully feathered and have a little weight on them to help them survive the cold weather.

You can leave the lamp on during dreary days. Yes the MHP will help to acclimate them to the cold. Once all your chicks are on the same page featherwise if you're still concerned about heat i'd invest in a sweeter heater. They're fairly safe and produce enough heat to keep the birds happy but not enough to cause issues. Had an idea, maybe you could reduce the wattage bulb you're using in your lamp. That would lower the overall heat produced making it good for everyone.:)
Seems like it will be difficult to acclimate them to the cold weather. Not really sure how to go about that. Or is that where the MHP (that they don’t use) comes into play?

87902238-97D2-4572-8F06-09C807C01037.jpeg
You can leave the lamp on during dreary days. Yes the MHP will help to acclimate them to the cold. Once all your chicks are on the same page featherwise if you're still concerned about heat i'd invest in a sweeter heater. They're fairly safe and produce enough heat to keep the birds happy but not enough to cause issues. Had an idea, maybe you could reduce the wattage bulb you're using in your lamp. That would lower the overall heat produced making it good for everyone.:)

I did actually purchase a heater, I think this is what you mean. I have not installed it yet because of this nasty weather we are expecting and the lack of feathers on my girl. Is this the one you were referring to?

Yes! That is exactly what i'm talking about. You're already prepared that is very nice.:)
View attachment 1569940

I did actually purchase a heater, I think this is what you mean. I have not installed it yet because of this nasty weather we are expecting and the lack of feathers on my girl. Is this the one you were referring to?

No. It was very cold out, lol. I sit out in the shop with them lots, but my Grandpa passed and I didn't get a space heater out there like I planned.

Back
Top Bottom