Nest box-how many

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rickdigschicks, May 19, 2011.

1. rickdigschicks

rickdigschicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2011
    Southern NH
    I am finishing up my coop for 2 SLW pullets and two Polish pullets.
    It is going to be @ 6' X 4'. Because of where is is situated I really won't have
    access to the left wall and back wall from the outside.

So far I have one nest box that measures @ 22"w x 12"d x 14"h.
    I thought I would just split that in half to make two boxes that they would share.

Do I really need 4 nest boxes since the Polish are not particularly steady layers?
    Can I get away with just the two?

If necessary can I make more of an over/under design or do all the nest boxes need
    to be at the same level?

2. Player Hater

Player Hater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    you don't need a box for each bird

they share it, sort of like people and bathrooms

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

The general rule is one nest box for each four hens. I would still do two; if a hen needs to lay whilst another is in there, she at least has the second nest to use. However, they will all probably use the same one! That just what hens do...

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I have four hens and just one long nest box. I didn't bother to split it. Two will go in there together and lay on either end of the box.

5. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Yup. 35 hens and they only lay where the broodies are sitting.

6. rickdigschicks

rickdigschicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2011
    Southern NH
    Thanks guys. That was my understanding also, but I read something earlier on a different thread about
    them fighting over nesting space so I figured I would at least ask the general consensus.

Laree, Love your website. Great pics.

This one

[​IMG]

sort of reminds me of this. LOL

[​IMG]

Or this

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  7. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 4 boxes for my 14 hens. Yes, they share boxes...sometimes at the same time! My standard size hens (Doms, BA, BO, etc) will often have 2 hens in a 12x12 box..while leaving another box empty, lol!

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I think there is some instinct to lay their eggs in a pile, a clutch. Increasing the chances of propagation, which is why they lay eggs in the first place. Thus, on most mornings, although there are three boxes in the hen house, all 10 pile their eggs into just one. It's what they do.

9. tiffanyg2

tiffanyg2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    Yea I didn't know this~ I really don't need anymore next boxes!? Maybe I can turn the other side into something else!! Maybe a extra window seat/perch or something [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by