nest box traps

hpoultry13

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 12, 2013
Does anyone have plans for building trap boxes for nesting? I want to be able to keep track of which hens lay which eggs. Thanks in advance.

hpoultry

I imagine you could rig up a "one way" door similar to what is used for pigeons, IF the chickens will go through it

You'd just have to make sure the box is big enough to swing the arms in with the bird inside

This one looks pretty simple:
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...1801C38D62EC79492C31642487AD&selectedIndex=19
th

Knowing my chickens though, a one-way door wouldn't do much except get them all stuck inside!

They all lay right around the same time, in the same exact nest, and tend to pick on each other for nesting rights (it's like kids fighting over the bathroom when they get home from a long trip, I swear... "But I have to go RIGHT NOW!" "So do I!").

So they would all end up in the same nest, and the one-way door would just keep them all from getting back out! LOL!

Knowing my chickens though, a one-way door wouldn't do much except get them all stuck inside!

They all lay right around the same time, in the same exact nest, and tend to pick on each other for nesting rights (it's like kids fighting over the bathroom when they get home from a long trip, I swear... "But I have to go RIGHT NOW!" "So do I!").

So they would all end up in the same nest, and the one-way door would just keep them all from getting back out! LOL!
Only one bird at a time can use it, you have to be around to monitor and release them after they've laid.
It's used for determining who's laying(for production culling programs) or gathering hatching eggs from a particular hen for a breeding program.

Back
Top Bottom