1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

nest box traps

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by hpoultry13, Nov 12, 2013.

1. hpoultry13

hpoultry13 New Egg

Nov 12, 2013
    Does anyone have plans for building trap boxes for nesting? I want to be able to keep track of which hens lay which eggs. Thanks in advance.

hpoultry

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    There's a very long and detailed thread here on BYC about trap nests:

Advanced search>titles only> trap nest

4. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Knowing my chickens though, a one-way door wouldn't do much except get them all stuck inside!

They all lay right around the same time, in the same exact nest, and tend to pick on each other for nesting rights (it's like kids fighting over the bathroom when they get home from a long trip, I swear... "But I have to go RIGHT NOW!" "So do I!").

So they would all end up in the same nest, and the one-way door would just keep them all from getting back out! LOL!

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Only one bird at a time can use it, you have to be around to monitor and release them after they've laid.
    It's used for determining who's laying(for production culling programs) or gathering hatching eggs from a particular hen for a breeding program.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by