nest box

worms7

Songster
May 22, 2015
england
i have 3, 39 litre tubs with rope handles can these be used as nest boxes they are 18 x 18 x 14 inch high also will 3, tubs be
ok for 10 birds
cheers phil

i have 3, 39 litre tubs with rope handles can these be used as nest boxes they are 18 x 18 x 14 inch high also will 3, tubs be
ok for 10 birds
cheers phil
3 tubs should be plenty and the size looks good are you going to have them on their sides?? My girls seem to prefer a "cover/roof" over top of them/

My nests are 16” x 16” x 16”. The reason I went with this size is that it was convenient for me. If you cut a 4’ or 8’ piece of plywood or 2x4 into 16” lengths you don’t have any waste. Also my stud spacing was 16” so framing was a piece of cake.

Those 18” x 18” x 14” are convenient for you. The chickens will probably love them. You could probably get by with only 2 of those since they are a little larger but three nests should work out great. Larger nests can accommodate more laying hens.

How do you plan to install them? Dad had six nests in a row with open tops. I stacked mine but have roofs on the nests. Both methods worked well, just don’t put any roosts over open nests so the roosting birds can poop in them. That’s not nice.

3 tubs should be plenty   and the size looks good  are you going to have them on their sides??   My girls seem to prefer a "cover/roof"  over top of them/
no I am not having them on there sides I am having them with a roof & cutting a entrance in them
Cheers Phil

i have 3, tubs can these be used as nest boxes18 x 18 x 14 inch high also will 3, tubs be
ok for 10 birds Yes.
Nest boxes
In my nest boxes I fold a feed bag to fit (nest boxes are 1 ft³). When a bag gets soiled; fold a new one; pop out the soiled; pop in the new. Feed bags are a nylon mesh bag.
Frozen poop just peels off in below freezing temperatures and just flakes off in summer when left out in the sun to bake and dry.

I have 67 trips around the sun it is the best method I have stumbled upon.

Make sure the twine is removed from the open end of the bag it can get tangled around your birds.

I hold the bag in place with these paper binders.

Easy Peasy Japaneasy

images

Back
Top Bottom