Nest boxes and free range chickens!!!

You'd be suprised. That horizontal support you have in the back, just bring it out and replicate it in the middle between two supports.

One thing a roost does is allows the chickens to not sleep in their own feces, and will help prevent skin sores, mites, lice, etc.

Another note, she doesn't look like a Brahma im familiar with. Do you have any more details? Does she have feathered shanks?
Honestly I got her from some random person when I saw how she was kept I actually just felt heart broken and wanted to take all the chicks that were there budget was not allowing so I bought her and another off him on the spot, just so they could get a better life the other died of what I believe was due to cocsidosis within us having him/her for 4 days, as per your question yes shanks are feathered and currently molting I don't know if it's just a mix of genetics that have given her supposed to be fully black feathers to them being white tipped, I will share a photo with you tomorrow of the new spines on her back maybe you can provide more insight ?

You'd be suprised. That horizontal support you have in the back, just bring it out and replicate it in the middle between two supports.

One thing a roost does is allows the chickens to not sleep in their own feces, and will help prevent skin sores, mites, lice, etc.

Another note, she doesn't look like a Brahma im familiar with. Do you have any more details? Does she have feathered shanks?
Hi again as I said I'd grab some photos today as I said was in very bad shape when I got her not sure what's going on with those feathers to be honest
IMG_20230621_084727.jpg
IMG_20230621_084912.jpg

She doesn't need to roost inches from the nest, and she shouldn't roost directly above it because then she will poop in the nest. Chickens lay their eggs on the ground. You have a nice nest box. Put more straw in it and add a couple of golf balls, or fake eggs, or even store bought eggs. This will inform her of the cool place to lay eggs.

Not sure what I'm looking at in top photo, in bottom photo those look like new feathers coming in, some still in the sheath.
As you said she doesn't look like any Brahma you know and I'm sure you means with the white tips of the feathers it is odd also why are the new feathers such a strange colour instead of black?

As you said she doesn't look like any Brahma you know and I'm sure you means with the white tips of the feathers it is odd also why are the new feathers such a strange colour instead of black?
Ahh gotcha. @BastyPutt said she doesn't look like a Brahma, I've never had any to compare her to.

Feather colors can change on regrowth but not sure what's going on here with your bird... normally you'd see that sort of extreme color change on speckled birds, for example, where they become more white speckled each molt. Maybe she has some sort of speckled breed mixed in? I don't know a lot about color genetics.

Ahh gotcha. @BastyPutt said she doesn't look like a Brahma, I've never had any to compare her to.

Feather colors can change on regrowth but not sure what's going on here with your bird... normally you'd see that sort of extreme color change on speckled birds, for example, where they become more white speckled each molt. Maybe she has some sort of speckled breed mixed in? I don't know a lot about color genetics.
So we can agree she is probably just a pavement special? And just love her for being a big girl 😍

Hi all so as a new BYC owner a quick question about nest boxes, I have been letting our first hen sleep outside as she was quite the old chick when I got her some say about 16 weeks, I decided to build a nesting box and I would just like to find out how one encourages the use of the nesting box at night? I believe closing her up at night is not needed as the neighborhood cats don't come near as our cats and dog don't tolerate visitors. I also believe it is well protected against the elements under our patio decking below is a photo of said nest box using pine for supports and IBR for the sides at the back I've actually used opaque IBR(Plastic)

Second one is would there be any need to change said environment? If any changes are needed.

View attachment 3549127

Hi there hope you have been keeping well? I've changed things up a little and thought I would find out from you what you think of the design used here and if there is any other recommendations from your side regarding the roost?

Attachments

• IMG_20230709_150052.jpg
    IMG_20230709_150052.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 4
I've changed things up a little and thought I would find out from you what you think of the design used here and if there is any other recommendations from your side regarding the roost?
Looks fine if they're using it, only thing I'd change at a glance is not having the water up there, they're only going to poop on it.

Back
Top Bottom