Nest boxes and free range chickens!!!

LordStark18

In the Brooder
Hi all so as a new BYC owner a quick question about nest boxes, I have been letting our first hen sleep outside as she was quite the old chick when I got her some say about 16 weeks, I decided to build a nesting box and I would just like to find out how one encourages the use of the nesting box at night? I believe closing her up at night is not needed as the neighborhood cats don't come near as our cats and dog don't tolerate visitors. I also believe it is well protected against the elements under our patio decking below is a photo of said nest box using pine for supports and IBR for the sides at the back I've actually used opaque IBR(Plastic)

Second one is would there be any need to change said environment? If any changes are needed.

IMG_20230612_074152.jpg

Nest boxes are for laying in and brooding in - you don't want chickens sleeping in a nest box. They should be on a roost unless there's a physical limitation that prevents them from getting up and down onto one.

Also chickens are flock animals so she'd really appreciate a friend unless once again, there's some sort of issue that prevents her from getting along with other chickens.

Second one is would there be any need to change said environment? If any changes are needed
Agree with Ltay and rosemary - you need roosts. Chickens roost for a multitude of reasons. Safety and their health are the two primary reasons.

Second, the best way to find out if you have predators around is to leave chickens unprotected at night. You have never seen, nor will you see (without a camera) the night critters. But, if there is anything at all in the area, they will find her.

Lastly, they only way you will encourage her to sleep where you want her to, is the same encouragement I give mine. Grab and throw them in for a few days 😉 if they have a roost and feel safe in their sleeping area, they will willingly return after a bit.

Now, getting free range chickens to lay eggs where you want is an impossible task. The name of that game is search the property daily for the egg stash.

Also chickens are flock animals so she'd really appreciate a friend
Above all - I think this is very important. If she is alone, she will be super depressed.

Hi, welcome to the forum from Louisiana, glad you joined.

Most of us (but not all) discourage chickens sleeping in the nests. I don't allow it. Chickens poop a lot when sleeping and we don't want poopy eggs. But just this morning I read a post where somebody was OK with them sleeping in a nest. You never know what you are going to read on here.

Many of us lock our chickens up at night as a protection from predators. I do. Again many of us does not mean all. Some people allow the chickens to sleep in trees or wherever they want to sleep. When they sleep unprotected like that they are vulnerable to predators. I don't know where you are in the world so I don't know what predators you may have. Some people can go for years without a predator attack but many can't. All it takes is one owl or nighttime prowler and you have lost a chicken.

Most chickens, not all but most, like to sleep on a high point, like in a tree. That gets them up off of the ground so they are less likely to be found by ground dwelling predators, but it is no guarantee. It can be hard to train then to sleep on ground or floor level if something higher is available. The only way I know to train one is to lock them in that spot every night until they accept it as their sleeping place. I have no idea how to train one to use what you propose. If they did use it I'd expect the chicken to sleep on top of it instead of in it.

Agree with Ltay and rosemary - you need roosts. Chickens roost for a multitude of reasons. Safety and their health are the two primary reasons.

Second, the best way to find out if you have predators around is to leave chickens unprotected at night. You have never seen, nor will you see (without a camera) the night critters. But, if there is anything at all in the area, they will find her.

Lastly, they only way you will encourage her to sleep where you want her to, is the same encouragement I give mine. Grab and throw them in for a few days 😉 if they have a roost and feel safe in their sleeping area, they will willingly return after a bit.

Now, getting free range chickens to lay eggs where you want is an impossible task. The name of that game is search the property daily for the egg stash.

Above all - I think this is very important. If she is alone, she will be super depressed.
Thank you so much for the feedback as my intro says I'm a new BYC keeper and have introduced the 2 younger chicks during the day we bring them in at night as it's winter here luckily not the worst winter here seeing we don't get snow does anyone have any ideas on designs for roosts for a Brahma?

Thank you so much for the feedback as my intro says I'm a new BYC keeper and have introduced the 2 younger chicks during the day we bring them in at night as it's winter here luckily not the worst winter here seeing we don't get snow does anyone have any ideas on designs for roosts for a Brahma?
Yep / looks like you can just run a board across from two of your supports there (cut to their angle would probably make for easier screwing)

Put it as possible, where the bird would be able to stand on it and still have some head space.

Yep / looks like you can just run a board across from two of your supports there (cut to their angle would probably make for easier screwing)

Put it as possible, where the bird would be able to stand on it and still have some head space.
I think I would have to make a bigger one with roosts as we all know Brahma's are bigger than your usual chicken she was found very comfortably relaxed there this evening
IMG_20230620_193521.jpg

I think I would have to make a bigger one with roosts as we all know Brahma's are bigger than your usual chicken she was found very comfortably relaxed there this evening View attachment 3549649
You'd be suprised. That horizontal support you have in the back, just bring it out and replicate it in the middle between two supports.

One thing a roost does is allows the chickens to not sleep in their own feces, and will help prevent skin sores, mites, lice, etc.

Another note, she doesn't look like a Brahma im familiar with. Do you have any more details? Does she have feathered shanks?

Back
Top Bottom