Nest scouting

Portia

Songster
11 Years
Feb 29, 2008
South Central PA
My roosters like to scout out potential nesting sites, and after careful inspection entice the girls to check them out with some come hither cooing and clucking. Here's Brett Favorelle, in what he thinks is a dandy new spot to cultivate some offspring
pop.gif

Brett thinks he's onto something as the girls watch in ?awe?
D.gif

IMGP7699.jpg

He begins the nest creation process...straw flies
celebrate.gif

IMGP7703.jpg

Hold it a minute...where'd he go?
hu.gif

IMGP7701.jpg

Oh, there he is hunkered down in the premo nest he's just excavated
ya.gif

IMGP7702.jpg

A hen takes the bait and goes in to lay an egg
droolin.gif

IMGP7711.jpg

I never did find any eggs laid here, but Brett dug his little heart out making the nest of all nests beneath the pile of straw. Cute little guy
love.gif

So glad I found this post! Yesterday my mom and I saw one of our blue andalusian roos making this funny clucking noise and hunkering down in some bushes while a hen watched. We could not figure out what he was doing and joked that maybe he was confused about his sex! Then later in the afternoon there was an egg there...after reading this I guess he was trying to get the hen to lay there and it worked! I had no idea that roosters did that! Thanks for your post, the pics are very cute!

Thanks, all. Our Brett is very attentive to his girls. His efforts have been renewed since I have a handful of pullets that just started laying, so he is all about finding them the perfect nest. Besides that, I have 4 broodies taking up 4/6 of the nesting boxes in the coop, so nesting space is at a premium!

Back
Top Bottom