Nest scouting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Portia, May 3, 2009.

1. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    My roosters like to scout out potential nesting sites, and after careful inspection entice the girls to check them out with some come hither cooing and clucking. Here's Brett Favorelle, in what he thinks is a dandy new spot to cultivate some offspring
    [​IMG]

Brett thinks he's onto something as the girls watch in ?awe? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He begins the nest creation process...straw flies [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hold it a minute...where'd he go? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh, there he is hunkered down in the premo nest he's just excavated [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A hen takes the bait and goes in to lay an egg [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I never did find any eggs laid here, but Brett dug his little heart out making the nest of all nests beneath the pile of straw. Cute little guy [​IMG]

2. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    That is so adorable! I think it's so cool when a rooster cares so much for his girls!

3. CAranchgirl

CAranchgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2009
    So glad I found this post! Yesterday my mom and I saw one of our blue andalusian roos making this funny clucking noise and hunkering down in some bushes while a hen watched. We could not figure out what he was doing and joked that maybe he was confused about his sex! Then later in the afternoon there was an egg there...after reading this I guess he was trying to get the hen to lay there and it worked! I had no idea that roosters did that! Thanks for your post, the pics are very cute!

4. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    cute pixs my guysss do that too like there shopping for a condo

5. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    Thanks, all. Our Brett is very attentive to his girls. His efforts have been renewed since I have a handful of pullets that just started laying, so he is all about finding them the perfect nest. Besides that, I have 4 broodies taking up 4/6 of the nesting boxes in the coop, so nesting space is at a premium!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by