Nesting box bedding and box construction

Hippie SkiSlope

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2020
We bought a house with an existing coop a few years ago and finally fixed it up. We just got chicks and I’m starting to think ahead for the nesting area. The existing nesting boxes are completely open on the front. Would it be wise to maybe put a 1x4 across the bottom to help contain the nest bedding? We intend to get sand in the next few days to use as bedding in the coop but I’m not sure what to use in the nesting boxes. Any suggestions? All I know is I keep reading not to use straw...Last question: I somehow ended up with 24 chicks, but they’re straight run, so I’m not sure how many layers I’ll end up with. Wasn’t quite intending that many buuuuut, hey we all know how that goes! Anywho...is there a recommended ratio of nesting boxes to layers?

Yes, a lip is a good idea to keep bedding (and eggs) in the box. I use wood shavings in the nest boxes but you could even try sand if you want. One box per 3 to 4 hens is a good number, so for 24 chicks, I'd probably do 5 or 6, as you don't know how many girls you have in the batch.

Completely agree with @rosemarythyme . I use nesting pads because I got tired of the girls kicking out the wood shavings.

I also suggest covering the nest boxes to keep them out until they are getting closer to laying age. They might start sleeping in them (ask me how I know!) and that means dirty eggs down the road. Ew.

Yes, a lip is a good idea to keep bedding (and eggs) in the box. I use wood shavings in the nest boxes but you could even try sand if you want. One box per 3 to 4 hens is a good number, so for 24 chicks, I'd probably do 5 or 6, as you don't know how many girls you have in the batch.
Perfect! There’s already 6 boxes there! I’ll just add a lip. Perhaps we’ll give sand a try. Thanks so much!

Completely agree with @rosemarythyme . I use nesting pads because I got tired of the girls kicking out the wood shavings.

I also suggest covering the nest boxes to keep them out until they are getting closer to laying age. They might start sleeping in them (ask me how I know!) and that means dirty eggs down the road. Ew.
Good call! I hadn’t even thought of that!

Back
Top Bottom