Nesting Box Ideas!!! Please!!

I have used an empty box that kitty litter comes in. They liked them a lot and even though we have a full bay of nest boxes now, I still have one tucked into a corner that is used daily. :)
Similar to the paint bucket, but doesn't roll.

I just made simple wooden nest boxes using a normal sheet of plywood (4'x8'). I even got the cheapest plywood available at Lowe's. I cut it all up into squares, each 1 foot long, 1 foot wide.

I only used FIVE squares for each nest box.

And the five pieces went like this: One full one for the bottom, two sides, and back. The last piece was cut into two pieces - one 8" wide, the other 4". The 8" piece became the top, the 4" piece became the front. Some thin nails, and lots of hammering later, and it was done. Just rough, simple, yet usable and kinda attractive at first.

Clearly, they were such a hit, that Brownie couldn't even wait for me to put them in their proper location. She walked into the shed, hopped up onto the work table, and climbed right into one!

I just made simple wooden nest boxes using a normal sheet of plywood (4'x8'). I even got the cheapest plywood available at Lowe's. I cut it all up into squares, each 1 foot long, 1 foot wide.

And the five pieces went like this: One full one for the bottom, two sides, and back. The last piece was cut into two pieces - one 8" wide, the other 4". The 8" piece became the top, the 4" piece became the front. Some thin nails, and lots of hammering later, and it was done. Just rough, simple, yet usable and kinda attractive at first.

Clearly, they were such a hit, that Brownie couldn't even wait for me to put them in their proper location. She walked into the shed, hopped up onto the work table, and climbed right into one!

Nice job, and the hen thinks so too! Thanks for the pictures.

Now THAT is too cute!!! She must love her nesting box!

GOOD job!!! I have several sheets of plyboard I got from tearing some pallets apart. I might need to copy your idea because I wanted to do some nests on the other side of the nesting room and join them all together. They have finally decided to start laying in the milk crate nests I made for them and only one is laying in the 1st nesting box we had made now. I think they like the milk crates because they're cooler and they can get more air in them. I'm thinking about taking the old sheet down now that is behind them on the wall to give them more air and it would circulate better with that being taken down. Anyway that wall to the south is empty and I have 4 more pullets that should start laying pretty soon and then another batch coming on that are younger. Right now they have 7 nests and I have 8 hens and 4 pullets and then the smaller one. I'm thinking there is at least 5 pullets in that group. Anyway like your boxes!!!
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom