Nesting box leaking...Help. Pics included. :)

Goaldielocks

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 17, 2008
Southern Maine
We had a coop built for us (mainly to save our marriage) and it's leaked only around one window, once. Easily fixable. Today, both windows seem to be leaking and the nesting box too! Right now the nesting box has shingles over the hinges, I guess the builder thought that would work...any suggestions as to how to make the nesting box a bit more water proof AND be able to open it??
I know that the girls aren't keen on getting wet (they are about 7 weeks old), and that seems to be all it's been doing here in Maine, darn rain!
So any info or ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks!!
~A new chicken mom.

100_0239.jpg

100_0240.jpg

100_0241.jpg

100_0251.jpg

I know that there is a bit more as far as tightening up for the winter that we have to do, but haven't been able to really make it draft free because of all of the rain.
sad.png

Thanks so much in advance!!!

Last edited:
Hi Goaldielocks,
welcome-byc.gif
from rainy South Carolina!

Can you get the builder to come back and fix it? If not, I agree with Mahonri- a bunch of silicone caulk.

Silicone caulk won't work over the hinges so don't waste time. Your best bet is picking up some outdoor grade vinyl from a fabric store and using it as a flexible flashing. Rubber also works well if you can find some. You'll want to slip it up under what ever siding was applied to allow it to drop off the siding, then down the flap and onto the shingles to be easily shed off.

If you need further explanation just PM me and I'll whip up something to show what I mean.

Also, pictures of the offending window leakage area as well as nest box would be helpful in being able to provide further advice.

Last edited:
This rain in Maine is making me and my chickens crazy too. Get some flashing ( thin metal)about 6-8 inches wide bend a strip in middle and tuck it under the last set of shingles make sure the falshing runs past the length of the boxes so the rain is carried off the ends like a rain trough. Or cover the whole darn backside with good ol'maine siding...a blue tarp!! Keep those babies dry.

Get a piece of rubber inner tube and a 1x2 or 1x4 and screw the board just above the hinges with the inner tube under it, then apply a good silicone caulk to the crack above the board and paint. this should make a flexible cover for the hinges; I think I saw this somwhere online when I was designing my coop.

Mrs.ChickChick :

Quote:
LOL, I can so relate to that, since we're nearly at the end of DH and I building our coop. Had a few <ahem> discussions along the way!
roll.png

Hope you get the leak fixed!

We own a deli and catering company and can dance around eachother in the kitchen all day with no problems....but bring on the house projects and its bickering all the way!
smile.png
We almost got a divorce over installing a screen door....that's when we decided that having someone else build the coop would be a great idea!
smile.png
LOL​

Back
Top Bottom