Nesting Box Preferance

Sallysec

Songster
7 Years
Aug 31, 2012
New York
For those of you that have built your coops and used them. Do you feel like you prefer a nesting box that has access from the outside, or inside of the coop. We are remodeling a full size shed, so we have the opportunity to do either option. Figured it would be best to ask those with experience for what works for them and why?

Secondly, do the birds have a preference for one or the other?

In my mind I want something that is easy to collect eggs from, has simple cleaning concepts and can be moved or divided somehow for the possibility of a brooding bird later.

Pictures are sooo appreciated if you have something really awesome to share :)

When I planned the building of my coop I planned to have nest boxes with access to collect eggs from outside. Then I started reading about issues people have with external nest boxes and leaks and THEN I realized "Hey, I'll be in the coop everyday anyway" so I switched to nestboxes where I have to go in to collect eggs and have never regretted it. While I'm in there I can check feed levels, DLM (deep litter method) and whether the litter needs to be turned, and notice if a hen is hiding in he coop because she is not feeling well or is going broody.

My coop is a walk-in coop in the style of a shed. You can see pics if you click on "My Coop" in my profile.

My first coop was made with outside access doors to gather eggs. It's ok but I hate it when it rains.
idunno.gif
Our new coop has a storage area we walk into and gather eggs. I love it and the group nesting boxes cost next to nothing. I bought lower kitchen cabinets, added a center plywood so it has two levels. I cut a peek thru window in door. Top peek thur was spot for a drawer. Lined with linoleum and boards pull out for easy cleaning.

Cut chicken entrance opening with 2x4 to attach porch step. My hens love them! I often find 3-4 hens in each one. I have 2 cabinets in each coop/pen. Also used a free dresser which has room for 2-3 hens in each drawer. Last pic is their entrance.

I had it blocked off until they got old enough. Then added straw bedding. The kitchen cabinets cost me $10.00 each and where easy to convert.

My coop is 6 x 8 and the plan was to attach the nest boxes to the wall. Once we put it inside, it took up too much room. Hubby cut out a section of wall and slid it in to look like an external nest box. I go in the coop daily so no need for a door to the nest boxes.

Before nest boxes were attached.

Nest boxes in wall.

What the outside wall looks like after it was attached.

My first coop was made with outside access doors to gather eggs. It's ok but I hate it when it rains.
idunno.gif
Our new coop has a storage area we walk into and gather eggs. I love it and the group nesting boxes cost next to nothing. I bought lower kitchen cabinets, added a center plywood so it has two levels. I cut a peek thru window in door. Top peek thur was spot for a drawer. Lined with linoleum and boards pull out for easy cleaning.

Cut chicken entrance opening with 2x4 to attach porch step. My hens love them! I often find 3-4 hens in each one. I have 2 cabinets in each coop/pen. Also used a free dresser which has room for 2-3 hens in each drawer. Last pic is their entrance.

I had it blocked off until they got old enough. Then added straw bedding. The kitchen cabinets cost me $10.00 each and where easy to convert.
Great idea with the cabinets.

We converted our shed into a coop.

Check out my photos, lots of pictures of how we divided the shed for a front storage area & the nest box is located there.
So our nestbox is outside of the coop, but still inside the shed.
thumbsup.gif
Good luck with yours.

idunno.gif
How do you people think of these things ?? I love recycling and repurposing, but I can't BUY an original idea . . . . (whoa is me) Good Work !!

How do you people think of these things ?? I love recycling and repurposing, but I can't BUY an original idea . . . . (whoa is me) Good Work !!
Thanks. I grew up on a farm and learned to recycle/repurpose before it was cool.
wink.png
Now if, I could just come up with a idea that I could patent and get rich - but I would still recycle/repurpose. I hate seeing stuff set out for trash pickup - that could still be used for something? Old baby cribs - can become great sheep/goat hay feeders with a little tweeking. lol

Thanks. I grew up on a farm and learned to recycle/repurpose before it was cool.
wink.png
Now if, I could just come up with a idea that I could patent and get rich - but I would still recycle/repurpose. I hate seeing stuff set out for trash pickup - that could still be used for something? Old baby cribs - can become great sheep/goat hay feeders with a little tweeking. lol
I saw this on using a baby crib as a brooder:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/460562/chick-crib-brooder-idea

Thank you so much for the pictures, sadly I never would have gotten the explanations without them. It also made me think about a friends furniture....I helped her move today and I told her I might take her old dresser ...I was thinking of using it to make into a brooder box ...now I am thinking of her nightstands...as nesting boxes....THANKS SO MUCH!

Back
Top Bottom