Nesting box question

Mar 30, 2018
I wasn't sure where to put this question, so I hope this is the right place.

When we bought our coop, we took out the panels that created the 3 nesting boxes, because we didn't want the chicks to think they were sleeping areas. We blocked off the area until we discovered they were jumping over the barrier then not being able to get back to the other side.
The chicks are now 9 weeks. They will occasionally sleep on the roosts, but prefer to sleep huddled on the floor in the area where the nesting boxes will be when we put the panels back in. When should I put the panels in, and will they figure out it isn't their sleeping area? I figured we would put the panels in once they get close to egg laying time, but should we just put in one panel and leave the other one open? We only have 4 chickens so they don't need 3 nesting boxes. Or would that just be confusing?

Some Chicks transition to roosting bars without a hitch. Some have to be "trained". It sounds kind of silly, but because they're ridiculously habituated little critters, :) if you want them on the roosts, you will have to wait until dark (not twilight, but really dark!) and hand place them on the roosts. You'll probably have to do this every night for the better part of a week; but they will learn. Then you can get your nesting boxes all back into shape! :)

Mine slept in the nesting boxes right up until it was time to start laying and then they all moved to sleeping on the perches. Once one moves, a few will follow and then once those follow the rest will slowly follow.

Put the dividers back in and cover the front of the nests.
They need to get used to roosting so they won't sleep in the nests once onset of lay gets near.

Is it one of the those tiny dollhouse coops?
If so, here's a great mod for roosts and nests:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1134399/help-hens-roosting-in-nest-boxes/10#post_17749535

We do have a prefab, but we did move the roosts up higher since they were really low, and we added a 3 foot long run to extend the run already attached. That thread link helped a lot, though, thank you! I will try blocking them off and moving the chickens after they go to sleep. They will sleep on the roosts sometimes. It has been raining all day, and I just went out to check on them and they were all napping on one roost, snuggled together in a line.

I will keep at it!

Thank you everyone! We are building a new coop next year, so all this helps with knowing how to improve the new one.

Back
Top Bottom