Nesting box

krischix19

In the Brooder
Aug 31, 2017
I'm building my nesting boxes, still in the process. Is there any advice on what you've learned AND is there a recommended height off the ground they should be?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    822.2 KB · Views: 17
I am making mine 2 feet off the coop floor. You don't want to have them too high or they will roost and poop in them. Just cut holes in the wall. 20170902_172230.jpg
Here is one nest box set, the other will be a bit different. 20170902_153014.jpg
Oh, i made them out of wooden drawers. 20170902_152950.jpg

I'm building my nesting boxes, still in the process. Is there any advice on what you've learned AND is there a recommended height off the ground they should be?
Welcome to BYC!

Are those going to be mounted on the outside of your coop?
Seeing more of the coop might help.

Here's my theory on the 'stack up' aspect to coop design:
Bottom of pop door is best about 8" above floor so bedding doesn't get dragged out of coop.

Nice to have bottom of nests about 18" above bedding to allow use of that floor space under them(doesn't count if your nests are mounted on outside of coop).

Roosts are best about 12" higher than nests so birds won't roost(sleep) in nests and poop in them, if you use poop boards under roosts it will also 'stretch' your floor space.

Upper venting works best as high as possible above roosts so no strong drafts hit roosts in winter...and hot/moist air and ammonia can rise and exit coop.

Back
Top Bottom