Nesting boxes made from removable dish bins?

Must be tucked under the lip of bin in these pics.....maybe other pics later showing it?

Oh, I see the problem. There is no anti-tip bar under the lip of the front of the bin. I put strips of wood underneath the bins in both the front and back. Kind of like a floor, but only a few strips and not a complete floor. When I tested it out with my hands, the front and back strips of wood under the bins stopped any tipping. My bins are suspended only 1/8 inch above those bottom strips, so any weight from above in the bins brings the bin down on top of the anti-tip strips.

My chicks will not be laying for another few months, so I took the bins out. Since there is no real floor in the nest box enclosure, they cannot get in there and sleep, poo, etc... and make a mess. At best, they could only use the strips as a roost, but I have other roosts in the coop that are both better and higher. So I hope the chicks don't start roosting inside the nest box enclosure. But if they do, it's still a roost type strip and the poo would fall through to the deep litter bedding below. So it's all good, I hope.

Back
Top Bottom