Nesting boxes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Karen711, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Karen711

Karen711 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2015
    Sechelt, B.C.
    I will be using sand in my coop & run but would appreciate any info on what you think is best for the nesting boxes?? Straw?? Hay?? Pine Shavings??
    Thanks [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I use both hay and shavings, sometimes just shavings, sometimes I mix the two, I use the hay to form the bowl and the shavings in the middle. It can depend on how vigorous your hens are in the boxes. I would try what's easier for than switch it if it doesn't work. Shavings have more cushion to them but are kicked out easier. Hay can mat down quickly and encourage mites if not changed regularly.

3. Karen711

Oct 11, 2015
    Sechelt, B.C.

Thanks for the info :)

4. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Quote:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  5. punkiss

punkiss Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2016
    Exactly how high off the coop floor can the nesting boxes be ?

6. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada

7. Karen711

Oct 11, 2015
    Sechelt, B.C.
    Hi there, the bag and that's it? Nothing else??

1 person likes this.
  8. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Personally i use dry grass clippings and leaves for both the nest boxes and under the roost - its free, so why bother spending money on stuff when its not necessary?

CT

9. Karen711

Oct 11, 2015
    Sechelt, B.C.

Interesting.... May do that in the summer then :)

10. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Different people use hay, straw, wood shavings, Spanish moss, grass clippings, leaves, carpet, shredded paper, rags, and who knows what else. Many different things can work but I go along with CT. What’s available and inexpensive?

Some people are quite happy with nests sitting on the coop floor. Some like them high enough so they don’t have to bend over to get the eggs. Do you have a bad back? Some people have the nests somewhere in between. I have no idea what is best for you. Are you going to go into the coop to gather eggs or will you have outside access? Will your hens be hatching in those nests? Do you have Silkies that can’t fly? How big is your coop and how many chickens do you have (is floor space that critical to you?)

The main idea is to make them convenient for you. I find people care about this more than the chickens, but it can affect your comfort and convenience.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by