Nesting boxes

Karen711

Chirping
Oct 11, 2015
Sechelt, B.C.
I will be using sand in my coop & run but would appreciate any info on what you think is best for the nesting boxes?? Straw?? Hay?? Pine Shavings??
Thanks
1f600.png
1f604.png
1f600.png

Nest boxes In my nest boxes I fold a feed bag to fit (nest boxes are 1 ft³). When a bag gets soiled; fold a new one; pop out the soiled; pop in the new. Feed bags are a nylon mesh bag. Frozen poop just peels off in below freezing temperatures and just flakes off in summer when left out in the sun to bake and dry. I have 65 trips around the sun it is the best method I have stumbled upon. Make sure the twine is removed from the open end of the bag it can get tangled around your birds.
Hi there, the bag and that's it? Nothing else??

I use both hay and shavings, sometimes just shavings, sometimes I mix the two, I use the hay to form the bowl and the shavings in the middle. It can depend on how vigorous your hens are in the boxes. I would try what's easier for than switch it if it doesn't work. Shavings have more cushion to them but are kicked out easier. Hay can mat down quickly and encourage mites if not changed regularly.

I use both hay and shavings, sometimes just shavings, sometimes I mix the two, I use the hay to form the bowl and the shavings in the middle. It can depend on how vigorous your hens are in the boxes. I would try what's easier for than switch it if it doesn't work. Shavings have more cushion to them but are kicked out easier. Hay can mat down quickly and encourage mites if not changed regularly.

Thanks for the info :)

Personally i use dry grass clippings and leaves for both the nest boxes and under the roost - its free, so why bother spending money on stuff when its not necessary?

CT

Different people use hay, straw, wood shavings, Spanish moss, grass clippings, leaves, carpet, shredded paper, rags, and who knows what else. Many different things can work but I go along with CT. What’s available and inexpensive?

Some people are quite happy with nests sitting on the coop floor. Some like them high enough so they don’t have to bend over to get the eggs. Do you have a bad back? Some people have the nests somewhere in between. I have no idea what is best for you. Are you going to go into the coop to gather eggs or will you have outside access? Will your hens be hatching in those nests? Do you have Silkies that can’t fly? How big is your coop and how many chickens do you have (is floor space that critical to you?)

The main idea is to make them convenient for you. I find people care about this more than the chickens, but it can affect your comfort and convenience.

Back
Top Bottom