Nesting boxes

Those ungrateful twerps! Those nests are gorgeous!

The problem is with your chickens. All chickens. They hate change. They hate being forced to deal with something new. But force is sometimes necessary.

I'm talking about confining them to the coop for a few days while they have no other alternative than to use the new nests. Golf balls will definitely help. Real eggs would be even better. Once one starts using one of the boxes, they will all suddenly discover the fabulous new nest box and all will soon be fighting over it.

I know. You built four lovely nest boxes, but hens generally will fight over or at least stand crowded in line to use just one. Kind of like Walmart with ten checkouts and no matter how crowded, they open only two or three. Maybe it's not exactly the same, but I couldn't pass up an opportunity to take a slap at Walmart.

IMG_20180919_142710803.jpg IMG_20180715_111930772.jpg
Finished boxes and Dotty wasted no time getting familure. The bucket nest boxes were to small.

I have open height on top. Dividers on three boxes for 4 hens. They are twelve inches wide. In general a 12 x 12 nesting box should be big enough or open on top so do not have to bend head down to enter or sit no matter the breed. I got some curtains this weekend to block drafts for winter but not yet up. Grey/White plaid.
v3+oK3%nSy2lVmQzjNdAzA.jpg

IMG_20180623_163441183.jpg had five gallon bucket nest boxes and built these after finding eggs everywhere but the nests. I put golf balls inside along with curtains for privacy. I'll send the finished product when we're done

Those ungrateful twerps! Those nests are gorgeous!

The problem is with your chickens. All chickens. They hate change. They hate being forced to deal with something new. But force is sometimes necessary.

I'm talking about confining them to the coop for a few days while they have no other alternative than to use the new nests. Golf balls will definitely help. Real eggs would be even better. Once one starts using one of the boxes, they will all suddenly discover the fabulous new nest box and all will soon be fighting over it.

I know. You built four lovely nest boxes, but hens generally will fight over or at least stand crowded in line to use just one. Kind of like Walmart with ten checkouts and no matter how crowded, they open only two or three. Maybe it's not exactly the same, but I couldn't pass up an opportunity to take a slap at Walmart.
:lau

I don't mind walmart. You can get your oil changed, tires rotated, your hair cut, your nails done, your grocery shopping done, your banking done, prescriptions filled, and eat lunch, all in one place! Now if only it wasnt so crowded...

Back
Top Bottom