Nesting boxes

mldlm

Songster
Apr 3, 2022
Northeast Florida
My chicks are almost 11 weeks, so I have some time, any suggestions on what nesting boxes for my coop and their location? How far above the floor ? Do they need a ramp to get to it? I have heard one per three chickens, is this true? I have four at 11 weeks now (2 Blue Australorps and 2 Leghorns), but just picked up four more today that are a day old (2 Black Australorps and 2 Speckled Sussex). Thanks for the input!

Nesting boxes are not as simple as most people think. They depend upon your purpose, or purposes for the hens to lay in. Do you plan on free ranging? Do you plan on letting them sit and hatch chicks. Either way, I take into consideration what hens naturally like as nesting place, and the material. For starters, hens like a hiding spot. So, I always shread an old tarp and tac it over the opening. Most people use pine shavings for the nesting material. However, fine stem grass hay is a more natural nesting material that they choose themselves when making nests out under things. Then if you're going to let them sit and hatch chicks, the placement of the nest is very important. When chicks hatch, they can't fly out of these nest boxes that people put up of the ground. Therefore, I'd put the next box on the ground, so the chicks can get in and with their mother.
If you plan on free ranging, I'd make the nests as I described. If not, your hens will stop laying in the nests you created, and fine themselves another place to lay. If you start suspecting that they're laying elsewhere, then keep them penned a few days. That will reaquaint them to have to use the nests in the henhouse. Then they should continue to use them. I've had it be a back and forth with one of my game hens. She just has that wild nature.
My chicks are almost 11 weeks, so I have some time, any suggestions on what nesting boxes for my coop and their location? How far above the floor ? Do they need a ramp to get to it? I have heard one per three chickens, is this true? I have four at 11 weeks now (2 Blue Australorps and 2 Leghorns), but just picked up four more today that are a day old (2 Black Australorps and 2 Speckled Sussex). Thanks for the input

Last edited:
My chicks are almost 11 weeks, so I have some time, any suggestions on what nesting boxes for my coop and their location? How far above the floor ? Do they need a ramp to get to it? I have heard one per three chickens, is this true? I have four at 11 weeks now (2 Blue Australorps and 2 Leghorns), but just picked up four more today that are a day old (2 Black Australorps and 2 Speckled Sussex). Thanks for the input!
Can you post pictures of your coop interior?
1 box per 4-5 hens is plenty. Make them 12"x12"x14" high minimum size. If you have larger gals, make them a big larger.
Hens stand up when the egg comes out so they need room to do that and the extra height provides room for the nest box bedding too. I'd also make sure to have a lip in the front at least 2" high. Mine are 4".
You can put the boxes wherever you want but make sure that they are below all roost heights.
Many people, myself included, like to have exterior coop access to collect the eggs.
Having a landing perch in front on the boxes is nice so a hen can jump up on that instead of potentially right into an occupied box.
I like to put a tightly packed leaf off straw in the box but you can use whatever you want. Remember that eggs can break in the boxes and you'll need to clean them periodically.

How far above the floor ? Do they need a ramp to get to it? I have heard one per three chickens, is this true?
Boxes can be as high as you want (reasonably) or as low as sitting on the floor. Mine are internal and floor height (well, about 3" off floor) so no need for a landing bar or ramp, but that also means they're eating up floor space, so that's something I had to plan into my set up.

coop2.jpg

If they're external, or internal about 18" high or more, then the space under them can still be used. Nest boxes that are raised do need either a landing bar/platform in front or a ramp to let the birds get up there.

1 box per 3-5 chickens. If you're maxing out at 8, I'd do 2 or 3 boxes.

Nesting boxes are not as simple as most people think. They depend upon your purpose, or purposes for the hens to lay in. Do you plan on free ranging? Do you plan on letting them sit and hatch chicks. Either way, I take into consideration what hens naturally like as nesting place, and the material. For starters, hens like a hiding spot. So, I always shread an old tarp and tac it over the opening. Most people use pine shavings for the nesting material. However, fine stem grass hay is a more natural nesting material that they choose themselves when making nests out under things. Then if you're going to let them sit and hatch chicks, the placement of the nest is very important. When chicks hatch, they can't fly out of these nest boxes that people put up of the ground. Therefore, I'd put the next box on the ground, so the chicks can get in and with their mother.
If you plan on free ranging, I'd make the nests as I described. If not, your hens will stop laying in the nests you created, and fine themselves another place to lay. If you start suspecting that they're laying elsewhere, then keep them penned a few days. That will reaquaint them to have to use the nests in the henhouse. Then they should continue to use them. I've had it be a back and forth with one of my game hens. She just has that wild nature.
Thank you for the info. My chickens are not free range and will not be hatching eggs. I do have a 8x10’ run attached to the coop that they have access to from the coop, but that is it. I have seen various types of nesting box mats, from sta style to a type of rubberized thing. Thoughts?

Thank you for the info. My chickens are not free range and will not be hatching eggs. I do have a 8x10’ run attached to the coop that they have access to from the coop, but that is it. I have seen various types of nesting box mats, from sta style to a type of rubberized thing. Thoughts?
In your case basically any option you choose should work. However, I myself am still inclined to use the more natural method as I described. Be sure and feed them a balanced diet, not just laying pellets. I'd also keep dewormed. The reason laying hens fizzle out at a year and a half old is because they've been totally used used up by the standard practice of penning them, and feeding them only laying pellets. They need greens, oyster shells, mixed scratch, sunflower seeds, dried peas. Plus, dewormed regularly. I've had hens 8-10 years old still laying 3-4 eggs per week. Proper and good nutrition is what the chickens industry has pushed aside for egg production.

That's a nice box. Yes, if you place it higher you can store things under it. But yes you would have to add a landing. That's up to you. You'll find out that the one box to 3-5 hens doesn't mean a thing to the hens...lol They'll lay in one or two nests. I get five to six eggs in one nest. The only thing you could do is add a cover of some kind over the front which is shredded if you like. Just an option.
Boxes can be as high as you want (reasonably) or as low as sitting on the floor. Mine are internal and floor height (well, about 3" off floor) so no need for a landing bar or ramp, but that also means they're eating up floor space, so that's something I had to plan into my set up.

View attachment 3126383

If they're external, or internal about 18" high or more, then the space under them can still be used. Nest boxes that are raised do need either a landing bar/platform in front or a ramp to let the birds get up there.

View attachment 3126383

My chicks are almost 11 weeks, so I have some time, any suggestions on what nesting boxes for my coop and their location? How far above the floor ? Do they need a ramp to get to it? I have heard one per three chickens, is this true?...
People care about the details of nests far more than the chickens do. They mostly want to feel safe while they lay. Things that help them feel safe include other hens laid there, not in main traffic areas, lower light levels but not too dark, a semblance of shelter on a side or two or three or above - the sorts of things a hen might find under a bush or on a stump with brush growing around it. Some hens care about any or all of these things more than others do.

The chickens don't care how high the nest is if they can get to it. Most people want nests lower than the roosts so the chickens don't sleep in the nests. Some people want the nests high enough to collect the eggs without bending down (ideal ergonomic height is a bit less than elbow high) A few people have the nests lower than the rest of the coop.

Many people are happy with the nesting pads and the chickens don't seem bothered by them. I haven't used them so don't know the pros and cons of the different kinds. I use dried grass partly because I like to sit in the coop and watch them arrange it into a bowl. And partly because I can pull nice, soft, long, fine dried grass by the handful from the edges of my yard. And I like how it looks in the crates I use for the nests.

A few of my favorite nest ideas, mostly from this thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/show-us-your-nest-boxes-ingenous-design-post-it-here.41108/

Attachments

• 21FB1DF2-FDEA-4D82-8C4F-3EA24971626B.png
    21FB1DF2-FDEA-4D82-8C4F-3EA24971626B.png
    5.9 MB · Views: 11
  • 1D3D48FC-605A-416E-96D9-930ED196FCBD.png
    1D3D48FC-605A-416E-96D9-930ED196FCBD.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 9
  • 41FD4A0C-57B7-4985-9274-514F6E24F61D.jpeg
    41FD4A0C-57B7-4985-9274-514F6E24F61D.jpeg
    190 KB · Views: 9
  • 26DCEB26-C62A-4F21-A6A3-F47B0677F7DA.png
    26DCEB26-C62A-4F21-A6A3-F47B0677F7DA.png
    2 MB · Views: 10
  • 5813334F-7868-4D14-8920-E72D4BC400CA.png
    5813334F-7868-4D14-8920-E72D4BC400CA.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 8
  • CCDDE9E8-909A-446B-B438-4124708A17AA.png
    CCDDE9E8-909A-446B-B438-4124708A17AA.png
    4 MB · Views: 8
  • 611D3314-2EF8-46E1-8D26-B0DFE3675055.png
    611D3314-2EF8-46E1-8D26-B0DFE3675055.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
I have 7 boxes for 15 hens and I still have to direct traffic or put up with a lot of squawking. They ALL want the same box, but that preferred box isn't always the same box. It changes. You have to remember that you're dealing with women, and their whims change with the wind. All of my boxes are external and just several inches off the floor. They can all see in every box. I use Astro Turf for the lining. It's indestructable and lasts forever, and cannot be moved by the hen. All I have to do is shake it out and put it back in the box and it's clean. The boxes are 20 inches high 15 wide and 19 deep. They prefer to get as far back in the box as possible. I can clean all 7 boxes in 10 minutes.

Attachments

• Coop & Run 024.jpg
    Coop & Run 024.jpg
    587.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Coop & Run 025.jpg
    Coop & Run 025.jpg
    533.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Cisco & Rocky 001.jpg
    Cisco & Rocky 001.jpg
    613.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Cisco & Rocky 009.jpg
    Cisco & Rocky 009.jpg