Nesting boxes

People care about the details of nests far more than the chickens do. They mostly want to feel safe while they lay.
Exactly!!

I have 16 hens and 4 nests, they use them all because (I believe) that there is a fake egg or two in each nest. There is still some squabbling from time to time., but it all works out.

I love the old fashioned metal nests with circular openings,
but they wouldn't fit in my coop so I faked them.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/albums/nests.7427682/
full

You'll find out that the one box to 3-5 hens doesn't mean a thing to the hens...lol They'll lay in one or two nests.
After having seen many comments on both sides of the equation, I'll say that it varies by flock. Like many folks report seeing 2 to 3 birds jamming themselves into 1 cramped box and laying eggs on top of each other, even if there's multiple open and available boxes.

My flock of 10 will spread out and use all 3 of the boxes, and absolutely will not share boxes with one another, even though I originally used a communal box without issue. If the favorite box is taken (far right) then if the next hen in line is dominant over the one in the favorite box, she'll kick her out and make her move one spot over, and so on. If all 3 boxes are occupied any bird that needs to lay paces and complains. :)

People care about the details of nests far more than the chickens do. They mostly want to feel safe while they lay. Things that help them feel safe include other hens laid there, not in main traffic areas, lower light levels but not too dark, a semblance of shelter on a side or two or three or above - the sorts of things a hen might find under a bush or on a stump with brush growing around it. Some hens care about any or all of these things more than others do.

The chickens don't care how high the nest is if they can get to it. Most people want nests lower than the roosts so the chickens don't sleep in the nests. Some people want the nests high enough to collect the eggs without bending down (ideal ergonomic height is a bit less than elbow high) A few people have the nests lower than the rest of the coop.

Many people are happy with the nesting pads and the chickens don't seem bothered by them. I haven't used them so don't know the pros and cons of the different kinds. I use dried grass partly because I like to sit in the coop and watch them arrange it into a bowl. And partly because I can pull nice, soft, long, fine dried grass by the handful from the edges of my yard. And I like how it looks in the crates I use for the nests.

A few of my favorite nest ideas, mostly from this thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/show-us-your-nest-boxes-ingenous-design-post-it-here.41108/
Love this info! Thanks tons!

You have all been so helpful! One more question for your input…in setting up my new coop (7x10’) - coop only, with an 8x8’ run. I was going to go with sand for easier cleaning, but the floor is plywood and we live in Florida. I have heard that sand is not good in humid areas. It also is not good on plywood. So….I think I will stick with the pine shavings that I am used to with my chicks. Any thought? Thanks!

You have all been so helpful! One more question for your input…in setting up my new coop (7x10’) - coop only, with an 8x8’ run. I was going to go with sand for easier cleaning, but the floor is plywood and we live in Florida. I have heard that sand is not good in humid areas. It also is not good on plywood. So….I think I will stick with the pine shavings that I am used to with my chicks. Any thought? Thanks!
I like sand, or PDZ is better, for poop boards....but sure wouldn't want to clean it daily in that big of a space.

Thanks! I am going to use poop boards under the roosts and will have sand on them. Just going to use pine shavings for the floor. Does that do well on a plywood floor?
Pine shavings do very well nearly everywhere. I don't know your climate specifically. Keeping it dry or setting up so it can dry quickly when it gets wet will help - so, wide eaves or a monitor roof will help. Most important for drying it out is an abundance of ventilation.

Thanks! I am going to use poop boards under the roosts and will have sand on them. Just going to use pine shavings for the floor. Does that do well on a plywood floor?
I would do something to protect the plywood floor.....porch paint, Black Jack 57.
I used a single sheet of heavy duty foam backed vinyl on my plywood floor, and also on my poop boards, has held up well for 9 year so far.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-coop-page.65912/

Boxes can be as high as you want (reasonably) or as low as sitting on the floor. Mine are internal and floor height (well, about 3" off floor) so no need for a landing bar or ramp, but that also means they're eating up floor space, so that's something I had to plan into my set up.

View attachment 3126383

If they're external, or internal about 18" high or more, then the space under them can still be used. Nest boxes that are raised do need either a landing bar/platform in front or a ramp to let the birds get up there.

1 box per 3-5 chickens. If you're maxing out at 8, I'd do 2 or 3 boxes.
Do you have plans/instructions for this nesting box?

Back
Top Bottom