nesting boxes?

Many years ago I had this idea to build a box 4'x18"x18" that I cut four holes in and placed doors on. I then placed my entertainment center on top. The box was used for toys for my grandchildren in the living room. Well When the chickens came along then I needed nest boxes and was short on cash so I had the brilliant idea that I could use this box for the ladies. I removed the top and front wall and sawed the sides at an angle for the roof to set on. I then screwed/nailed it to the outside wall of the coop. I then took my saw and cut the holes out for the ladies to get in. Replaced the top, after putting some rolled roofing across it, with a couple of hinges for access purposes. Put hay in it and a golf ball in each of the four nests. When the ladies started to lay they went right in and laid in the box. I found that they liked to kick the hay out which resulted in cracked eggs when they hit the wood bottom so I laid in a piece of carpet that I had removed from the living room. Replaced the hay and golf balls and voila no more cracked eggs.
200x200px-ZC-20240763_004.jpeg

200x200px-ZC-0dd88d11_002.jpeg

200x200px-ZC-dc8a2863_001.jpeg

I had to use carpet in mine too. No matter how high of a lip I put across the front, they still managed to kick out all the shavings.

I got card box from Costco and leave them on floor. It work just fine. I issue I found the egg tend to get dirty with standard nest box so going to build a roll out nest box. If you don't want to build, go with card board box or 5gal bucket turn on it side.

Last edited:
I built these boxes with the future "broody" in mind. Not wishing to disturb her while she increases my herd.

They were built to fit between standard 16"oc framing, making them about 14" square and 14" deep. I can remove each of them individually to move broodies without disturbing them or to just clean them outside with a hose.

A bit early as my chicks don't come till April 3rd or 4th

henry

Last edited:
      I built these boxes with the future "broody" in mind. Not wishing to disturb her while she increases my herd.

They were built to fit between standard 16"oc framing, making them about 14" square and 14" deep. I can remove each of them individually to move broodies without disturbing them or to just clean them outside with a hose.

A bit early as my chicks don't come till April 3rd or 4th

henry

And you will be delivering those to my house at what time today? ;) :gig

You did a great job! :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom