Nesting boxes

usedhobarts

Songster
10 Years
Apr 18, 2014
Hi, I'm in the process of building my coop and run as first time chicken owner. I live in NW MN. about 70 miles from the Canadian border. With this in mind I'm converting a heavily insulted milk house attached to the old barn to a permanent coop. I building 6 nesting boxes in rows of 2 , 3 high because of the existing design of the milk house. This configuration will allow me to access the nests from behind and inside the barn so I don't half to enter the coop to check for eggs in the winter and open the coop to the often harsh temps here in the winter months. With the current layout the bottom row of nest box will be 2.5' off the floor level and the entrance to the top row will be I little over 4.5'. These will essentially be holes in the wall 10" x 10". Besides a small landing under each row of the entry holes will I need a ladder of sort or will my chickens be able to jump to the nesting boxes from the floor? My hens will be red stars and Rhode Island reds. Any help would be appreciated.

Both of those breeds are great flyers so a landing bar should be enough. If you get a broody or a not so good flyer (giant breeds or silkies) you will want a ramp. You can always add one later if you need one.

Thank you. I was hoping that was the case just as an added safe keep from skunks getting into the coop during the warm months. The chickens will be able to free range at will during those months so skunks could get in thru the run and then the coop. My grandma told me skunks love eggs so I assume that to be true.

They do, free food they don't have to fight for. Near impossible to get the smell out of a chicken if they choose to spray in the coop. Also, raccoons, rats, and snakes love eggs. One of the many reasons I love having a raised coop.

Back
Top Bottom