Nesting material alternatives, anyone tried these?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chick_a_dee, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    My girls like to eat their nests, and I haven't determined yet whether or not they just like to eat them, or if it's because the nestboxes are too low (I'm making new ones anyway and moving them across the coop and putting them higher up on the wall).

So, because I can't give them straw or hay or shavings now (they kick them out and are left with bare wood, so they lay in the bedding instead cause it's softer) how about some alternatives!

I was thinking along the lines of..

Sheeps wool (washed obviously)

Poodle hair (After you shave your poodles in the summer or give them kennel clips, save the hair, wash it, and then use it as bedding... it is the same as sheeps wool essentially, and is even used for spinning)

That fluffy bedding used in Hamster houses

Shredded paper (You'd have to make sure the ink is vegetable dye based/non-toxic)

Dryer Lint

Does anyone have experience with these? How about other ideas for nesting material?

2. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    i use the shredded papers my eggs never break or any thing and it kind of sticks together too i havent tried any of the other stuff though.....

3. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    if you make the nest box right they wont kick it out

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I use shredded newspaper (soy ink). Easy to use. Easy to clean up. Absorbant. Others on BYC have said it is smellier, but I haven't noticed that. My worse problem with it is that my arm gets sore shredding. I lay several layers of flat paper down first and put the shedded over that- starts out about 10 inches deep. When cleaning I just have to roll everything up in the flat pieces.

5. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    Quote:Get yourself a rotary fabric cutter to roll over layers of paper....and cut strips really easy. Will save you tons of time.[​IMG]

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:Get yourself a rotary fabric cutter to roll over layers of paper....and cut strips really easy. Will save you tons of time.[​IMG]

Thanks magsrags,
    I have one that's never been used. I think I'll be using it soon since my chickens are afraid of the snow and haven't left the coop in two weeks. lol
    Imp/Russ

7. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I built a rollout nest box and use the astroturf type nest liner. Eggs stay clean, when the hen lifts up the eggs roll under a partition. I currently am using a six nest box and am thrilled with how well in works. Occasionally I take out the liner, wash them and put them back.

8. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area

Use an OLD rotary fabric cutter. When my cutters get dull from cutting fabric, I save them for cutting paper.

What about using a paper shredder?? I use the paper out of my shredder for my worm boxes, I think that it would work good in nest boxes also.

Cindy

9. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Quote:They don't kick it out.... they eat it LOL. I'm putting up new boxes today with a hole in the front for each nest, I think they'll like the darker cozier nest better (mine are 16x16, my chickens like to fluff up in box and get real huge).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by