Nests.....

cjeanean

Can't Decide
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Missouri
Okay, so I have my heart set on a simple, easy nest idea....milk crates. The problem is finding them!!!! Does anyone know where I can get them??? Or something like them??? Wal-Mart carries a type of milk crate, but it's not square, it's not as deep as it is wide. It's for storing files or something like that. whatever the case is, I don't mind the price ($5) but I need something deeper. I'm in South KCMO, so if anyone from around here knows please write. Otherwise, if you know of any major stores that would pretty much be everywhere that would have them please write!!!!!!!!!!!! I never knew it would be so freakin hard to find them!!!!!!

Have you looked at the "faux" milk crates in the storage bin dept at Walmart. Mine carries them in spring colors right now and they are the same size as a regular milk crate, tho they do have some in smaller sizes.
You might try posting on your local Freecycle yahoo group to see if anyone has any old ones they want to give away for free or a local convieniet store might have them too.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=40760

Don't
know about milk crates, but this thread shows an interesting idea. Denali uses Home Depot 5 gallon buckets, but if you read the whole thread, there's something about getting 5 gallon buckets FREE from the bakery department at WalMart (I think). Apparently, cake icing comes in 5 gallon buckets which the bakery just trashes when empty. Simple and FREE! I like it.
big_smile.png

I tried milk crates once and they didn't work out for me. Way back when I buried found five gallon buckets once and only left four to sex inches above ground. Filled them with the dirt from the hole and then put hay on top of that. It shapes into a perfect little nest. Those were some of the best nests that I ever had. I don't know why I built any when those worked so well.

Wow, never thought of the buckets.....especially if they end up being free!!!! I'm sitting here couting pennies thinking about how much this is gonna cost.....Thanks for the ideas!!!!

Back
Top Bottom