Netherland dwarfs

iluvsedward

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 19, 2010
Calvert County MD
I have a netherland dwarf male, he is all white and has pink eyes, his name is happy
does anyone else have a bunny like this? just courios
smile.png

Quote:
I don't know where either of you live, but in the US that color is called Ruby-eyed White (REW). Genetically, yes, it is an albino, but a rabbit person doesn't call it that. I don't have time to post pics right now, but I have two REW ND's, the latest of a long line of REW and shadeds that I have had for years.
smile.png

I don't know of any animals where you actually use the term albino. Red or ruby eyed white is the most common term particularly for any type of small animal. Someday when I get my whole rabbit situation sorted out better I'd like 1 pair of siamese sable or orange and fawn netherland dwarf.

Ive always heard people call animals that are white with red eyes albino, ive never heard them called anything else?

A breeder would never call it an albino. That term is just not used for a purposefully bred color. Mice, gerbils, guinea pigs, rabbits, rats, and probably all other rodents are called red eyed white, pink eyed white, or ruby eyed white. Most livestock do not have a true albino form. An albino horse does not exist. The closest thing is a cremello but they still have some pigment. There are also lethal whites which happen when an animal gets 2 copies of a lethal gene creating an albino animal that usually has vision problems, missing teeth, and sometimes severe digestive tract disorders that can cause death within hours or days of birth. The only time the term albino seems to be used is when the only way to get an albino of that animal is through random genetic mutation that causes major health issues and/or is not repeatable in future generations. I have yet to see it be used by a breeder or registry in reference to an accepted color of an animal.

An albino is an animal that lacks normal pigmentation. There are some forms of partial albinism, where at least a little pigment is produced. If the only result is the lack of pigment, fine, but there are many kinds of mutations that can interfere with pigment production and do something else at the same time, with that "something else" being lethal or at least highly harmful to the animal. Humans have a few forms of albinism, though the person usually appears blond and blue-eyed rather than having white hair and pink eyes.

Here's one of my kits from a couple of years ago:
critters128.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
i just wanted to make sure lethal white was presented correctly. lethal white is ALWAYS fatal to the foals that are born. both parents must carry the gene for LWO. they are NOT an albino. they are a overo colored horse. they can have blue eyes or brown eyes ( i have bred paint horses and minis and have had both occur) i know that with horses, minis or biggies alike when a foal is born pure white (maximim overo) they are lethal white. they WILL die. hence the reason it is so important to have all breeding horses tested. i do know of a few maximum overos that have just coloring on their ears that are not leathal whites that always throw color.
just wanted to verify that all foals born with both LWO genes are fatal .
smile.png

Just an FYI ... according to ARBA Standards of Perfection: "Albino: A white rabbit with pink eyes". The Angoras & AFLs also list the eye as not only "Pink" as in many white breeds and the eye color recognized by ARBA, but as "Pink iris with ruby red pupil". We do a lot of work with 4-hers and this is a question we pose to them to make them think.

Around here they come with 5-11" of wool! And a ton of grooming!

so if a REW is an Albino ... what is a BEW? The BEW causes more problems in pigment than the REW (at least in colored English Angoras) and yet the REW is the Albino! I know the answer ... just love to play with the thought!

Cute bunny ... welcome to the world of REWs

Back
Top Bottom