Netting didn't last through one snowfall

SpiffyChicken

Chirping
Sep 24, 2009
Highland, NY
We put aviary netting over the top of our chicken run (in NY) and as we suspected, with the weight of the snow it failed. Wont chicken wire/netting do the same thing, eventually. Has anyone had success with something else? What to do what to do?

Hummmm....

I used deer netting to keep the hawks from decapitating any more of my ducks. Th snow hasn't bothered it a bit.

Yup, it does that. Either you have to take it down for wintertime, or prop the *bejeebers* out of it as if it were a roof. Having large mesh rather than smaller mesh helps some but not necessarily enough.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

I use deer netting on my 2 runs, one run is 12x12 and has rafters on an 8-12 pitch the snow does not build up on the netting enough to ruin it. On my 20x20 run I put the netting flat across the top and when it snows the netting is stretched down to the ground, I will be putting a pitched roof on this spring.

I 've got nothing over my run except a blue tarp near the coop. It looks like the snow may be too much. I intend to put clear plastic all around the sides except the south side. But what to put on top? I wish I had made it shorter on one side so it was slanted. I just figured the less noticable it is the less attraction it will cause. Plus I want it to look nice. Maybe I can find some clear corrogated plastic for the top.
It is freezing here. I guess if I can prepare for this weather I be set for anything.

Hey spiffychicken....,.,.I hear you and feel your pain !!! I too have deer netting and we got about 3" of snow the other day.....first I watched it SAG under the weight of the snow. I went out and tried to remove some snow...ended up with it down the back of my jacket. Not nice ! When I went back out after it had melted I found where I used tie wraps to hold it onto the chainlink and to weave the netting together....it had ripped !!! I just spent about an hour and half out there fixing the 2 seperate runs. AND IT'S COLD AND WINDY here today !!! I too am now looking for a new solution to cover my pens. By the way, ended up repairing it using floral wire on the spool to weave it together. I think I know what I'll be doing this winter !
Any good ideas anybody ????? PLLLLLLLEEEEEAAAAAASSSSSEEEEEEE !
Liz
Rochester, MA

i used deer netting too, put it up over a year and a half ago. Went thru last winter just fine but this last storm we had did it in. I think it was a combination of very wet snow and the netting was starting to sag. But I had good luck with it and if i have to spend $7 every year to replace it thats not too bad.

stronger wire, like this 2"x4" with maybe a stiff leg in the center to hold it up.
welded20wire.jpg

Last edited:
Johnny jack had a good idea. I suspect that chicken wire would do better than plastic too. Trouble is, chicken wire and welded wire do not come in rolls that are wide enough to be practical for covering a run. 8 ft max and spl order mostly. A whole lot of fastening together would be involved, section by section. Definitely needs support down the center of run if netting of any kind, and elevated maybe 2:1. Center support desireable for all coverings regardless of what kind.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom