Netting

I'm using tree netting. I have watched hawks land on the coop roof and watch the chickens but they haven't tried anything with my netting. On security cameras I have seen opossums, raccoons,fox, hawks,and coyote trying to get into my coop/run.

If anybody close to northern VT wants a LARGE quantity of heavy-duty hawk netting, hit me up. I realized I wasn't up for figuring out how to mount it. It could be cut into smaller pieces to use over a smaller run.

I wonder if the 1" would keep songbirds out of the berry bushes.
Probably depends on the size of the birds, and how determined they are. We have some pretty tiny birds here that probably could fit their heads through a 1" opening, if you were to drape 1" netting right over the plant.

If the netting sat on a frame that held it further away from the bushes and berries, maybe that would work?

Yes, frame supported would be the plan. I tried the lightweight bird netting but it rips easily and was kind of a PITA.
Yeah it's one of the toughest things to work with. Even in applications where I want a light bird netting, I get the heavy duty version which is made of thicker plastic so it doesn't tangle easily and doesn't tear accidentally just from working with it.

Alot of times it's hard for me to relate to other members on here. I live in a very remote part of Tennessee. I have black bear, coyote, coon, possum, hawk, owl, stray dogs. I haven't had the problems that even subdivision people have. My coop is open 24/7 and I free range the chickens in the woods? They don't have a run. Everyone's first time back to my place thinks I bought the film location of Deliverance. It really is a great place to find rattlesnakes, chiggers, and moonshine.

So it's hard for me living where I do, to imagine the problems yall got with predators. I have an Anatolian shepherd running loose, scare crow near the coop, and 12 Gauge if needed.

I would start with eagle decoys, scarecrows, or even invite a professional falconer to catch the hawk population.. your local wildlife officer would know how to get in touch with them.

In the long run, chickens are cheap

Alot of times it's hard for me to relate to other members on here. I live in a very remote part of Tennessee. I have black bear, coyote, coon, possum, hawk, owl, stray dogs. I haven't had the problems that even subdivision people have. My coop is open 24/7 and I free range the chickens in the woods? They don't have a run. Everyone's first time back to my place thinks I bought the film location of Deliverance. It really is a great place to find rattlesnakes, chiggers, and moonshine.

So it's hard for me living where I do, to imagine the problems yall got with predators. I have an Anatolian shepherd running loose, scare crow near the coop, and 12 Gauge if needed.

I would start with eagle decoys, scarecrows, or even invite a professional falconer to catch the hawk population.. your local wildlife officer would know how to get in touch with them.

In the long run, chickens are cheap
What bred of chickens and how many roosters do you have. I can't have roosters and quite docile pet chickens we have don't make good free range. You are country farm raising and we are backyard raising.

Back
Top Bottom