Netting

What kind of netting do you put over your coops to keeps chickens safe? I had a netting but it was super thin and kept ripping. I need something more heavy duty. Thanks so much!
Where, approximately, do you live (please put it in your profile) because that can be important when people answer questions.

If you are talking about covering a run to avoid aerial or climbing predators and live in snow country, you must put up proper support. I had 3 blueberry bushes covered with arched cattle panels which were covered in chicken wire to keep birds out. One winter we had a wet heavy snow and the arched cattle panels (THICK metal wire!) were converted to an M shape. I took it all down last week, it is going to take a lot of muscle to flatten (as best possible) the panels back out.

Where, approximately, do you live (please put it in your profile) because that can be important when people answer questions.

If you are talking about covering a run to avoid aerial or climbing predators and live in snow country, you must put up proper support. I had 3 blueberry bushes covered with arched cattle panels which were covered in chicken wire to keep birds out. One winter we had a wet heavy snow and the arched cattle panels (THICK metal wire!) were converted to an M shape. I took it all down last week, it is going to take a lot of muscle to flatten (as best possible) the panels back out.
Snow doesn't easily pass through chicken wire, even if it isn't wet snow. I learned that the hard way last winter. Earlier in the summer I'd put a greenhouse frame over my garden, but instead of plastic, wrapped it with chicken wire to keep the birds and rabbits out. The frame was sturdy, made out of iron pipes about 1.5" in diameter. We had an unusually snowy winter, and the whole structure collapsed under the weight of the snow! The iron bars were bent like play-dough. Snow is no joke. My run has a wooden frame with 2x4 rafters that are 2' apart, and the top is covered with 2"x4" welded wire, and that has been working fine. The gaps are large enough to let most snow through, and whatever snow does accumulate, isn't much and can be supported by the wooden frame. 2"x4" isn't ideal, as smaller predators can still slip though - like weasels or fishers - but it's enough to stop the biggest and most common offenders like hawks and raccoons, and my chickens are locked up in the coop at night.

I live in Texas so hawks and possible raccoons are the main issue.

I don't use netting, but this is often recommended by people who do: https://pinnonhatch.com/poultry-supplies/p/heavy-knotted-poultry-netting-2mesh
x2. This is the specific product many of us use, but there's other similar ones out there (and the company also sells different weights/opening sizes depending on your needs). Mainly you want something with a burst/break weight listed, with UV treated strands for longevity.

It may or may not keep out raccoons - they probably can't tear through it but may be able to bite through it. And the main weakness with most netting is at point of attachment, so you want to make sure to attach it very well to the fence line so critters can't simply squeeze through a gap.

Back
Top Bottom