Neurological problem?

5ducks

Songster
Jun 20, 2021
I have a 9 week old Rouen mix with either a khaki Campbell or welsh harlequin duckling. She has always been a little off. She was hatched from the tiniest egg I had and is still the smallest duckling. She doesn’t run from people or “scary”things like the others do, in fact she doesn’t really run at all that I’ve seen. If the other ducks run off or get separated from her she will stand there for a bit before she starts quacking for them, then she starts kind of walking(maybe speed walking) towards them. It’s like she’s kind of slow mentally. She eats and drinks like normal. Her legs look fine to me, they don’t tremble or anything and she gets plenty of niacin in her diet so I think it might be a neurological issue. She is one of the ducklings I wanna keep, but I don’t want her to be living in pain if it is a physical issue. Has anyone had a duck like this before? Was it able to live a happy life? Thank you for any answers

I had one that was deaf that behaved like this but she also scream quacker cause she couldn't hear herself. I also have one that's just her own duck and does her own thing. I don't think shed care if she was a single. Could be personality. Does she ever have seizures or fall over or sit down abruptly?

I had one that was deaf that behaved like this but she also scream quacker cause she couldn't hear herself. I also have one that's just her own duck and does her own thing. I don't think shed care if she was a single. Could be personality. Does she ever have seizures or fall over or sit down abruptly?
I’ve never seen her have a seizure, fall or sit down abruptly. A couple times I have seen the other 8 run into her and knock her down and step on her because she was so slow to react though. Gave them more space and haven’t seen them do it again yet, but they will run into her if they get startled and she just stands there like she doesn’t know what’s going on.

I have a little Runner female who is similar she is almost always off by herself when all the rest are laying all together. The other 9 will get up and go off out of her sight and she’ll just stay where she is at. Eventally she’ll realize she’s all by herself and start quacking and go look for everyone. She doesn’t get knock over though. She just seems to be more of a loner than the rest of the flock. It doesn’t sound like your duck is in pain. Of course sometimes it hard to tell. But if she’s eating drinking swimming and enjoying life maybe she is just walking to her own drum. I use to worry something was wrong with Faith but she is going on 3 yrs old now has has always been like this so it’s just her and she’s fine. Hopefully it’s the same with yours. Maybe you can post a video of her behavior?

I have a little Runner female who is similar she is almost always off by herself when all the rest are laying all together. The other 9 will get up and go off out of her sight and she’ll just stay where she is at. Eventally she’ll realize she’s all by herself and start quacking and go look for everyone. She doesn’t get knock over though. She just seems to be more of a loner than the rest of the flock. It doesn’t sound like your duck is in pain. Of course sometimes it hard to tell. But if she’s eating drinking swimming and enjoying life maybe she is just walking to her own drum. I use to worry something was wrong with Faith but she is going on 3 yrs old now has has always been like this so it’s just her and she’s fine. Hopefully it’s the same with yours. Maybe you can post a video of her behavior?
I can try to get a video of it tomorrow

Got a couple videos of her today, sorry, had trouble uploading them but finally figured it out.

Got a couple videos of her today, sorry, had trouble uploading them but finally figured it out.
It is interesting the way she walks and reacts. I had a deaf roo that reacted the same for the most far for about half a summer before it became barely noticable. She doesn't seem to be in any pain though and sou do happy. Looks healthy to.

Back
Top Bottom