Nevadans?

How awesome Aubrey! And I love the ring - that's really unique and clever!
thumbsup.gif
Where in LA are you from? I only ask 'cause that's where I hail from, too. Dear old Downey is where I grew up. I left there in 1987 and have only been back a few times since.

I just buy the old fashion oats found in the cereal section at the grocery store. They only get a large handful each morning with a small handful of the BOSS. I buy ground kelp at the health food store and bulk pure alfalfa pellet (not rabbit pellet) at the feed store and grind it because it is too large for the chickens to eat it comfortably.
thanks for the info!
What a coincidence! I'm growing purslane and chicken forage, too! Lamb's quarter, especially. Actually, it's what I'm constantly weeding out of the gardens, and I collect it in a bag and throw it to the chickens. No shortage here! I don't spray Roundup... I grow the weeds out. Lol!
I actually don't pull the dandelions completely out of our grass anymore. I just pull off the leaves so they'll regrow and I can feed to the chickens again!
lol.png

Well hello everyone! Im home im home! boy did I miss my little egg head and my kitties and my chickens. ive been getting a lot of attention from all of the animals since i got home, I LOVE IT! *cuddles cuddles cuddles*

I did some skim reading to try and catch up. However, my attention span is that of a goldfish since Friday so my apologies, LOL. SPEAKING OF FRIDAY, I cant wait to tell you guys about all the fun tuff we did in LA! I forgot how neat it is back home, and how many adventures one can get into. Well lets see, you all know what went down on friday haha. It was amazing. We went to venice beach and had lunch at the boardwalk cafe which is where I ALWAYS go when we go to venice. Its my spot :) Well there are all kinds of sidewalk acts in venice, usually artists or weirdos doing odd things. But our favorite act is a man who has been there for years, he just lugs a piano around and plays the most beautiful classical songs. He happened to be playing outside of the cafe when we got there and when we left markie approached him and asked if he could play our song. When he started i went and sat on the grass behind the piano to listen and enjoy and thats when Markie got down on one knee, pulled a ring out of his sock, and asked me to marry him. It was magical, I was in tears, lol. Oh yeah! and heres my ring!!!

He had it custom made by a friend of ours in the jewelry business! Isnt it perfect! its a 14k rose gold flamingo with diamonds for eyes. I LOVE it!!!

OKay enough bragging, sheesh. We also went to a bunch of amazing museums and restaurants while we were there. we went to a japanese food place tht had little bbqs on build into the tables and you just order your veggies and meat and cook em up right there! Also went to the california science center which had real spaceship thingys (i dont know what theyre called, theyre the things that the astronauts come back to earth in). They were all burnt up and used and stuff. We went to hollywood and saw all of the stars and handprints. (doris day! humphry bogart! leonard nemoy!). Went to the Ripley' believe it or not museum. I loooove that place. It has some of the weirdest things I have ever seen. Stopped at a Tommy's burger and got my dad a giant vat of chili, hahaha.
Yesterday before we came home we stopped at the Museum Of Tolerance in downtown LA. That was extremely heavy. Mark and I took away so much from that experience. Al of the exhibits there are about prejudice, genocide, and hate, including an hour long guided holocaust exhibit where in the begining you are given an ID card of a real child from europe in that time and during the tour you put your card into a little machine and learn more and more about what happened to your child and your family, then at the end of the tour you find out your childs fate. Also our tour happened to be guided by an actual holocaust surviver which made the entire thing that much deeper. It was intense.

okay I am definitely rambling now. I had the most amazing weekend ever! and dont worry about the party guys, haha. Mark and I are planning to get married at an Elvis chapel in vegas next year and then we are going to come back to reno and throw a HUGE party for all of our friends and family to join!
Awww Aubrey! Steve and I are so happy for you 2!!! A huge blowout reception sounds like a blast! And you get your Elvis wedding!!!

Quote: I used to get purslane growing like crazy in the valley there but not a bit to be found up here! Weird. It's so close.
idunno.gif

How awesome Aubrey! And I love the ring - that's really unique and clever!
thumbsup.gif
Where in LA are you from? I only ask 'cause that's where I hail from, too. Dear old Downey is where I grew up. I left there in 1987 and have only been back a few times since.
So many So Cal babies on this thread! I haven't lived there since 1968 though. I used to go back and visit but haven't in years now.

Last edited:
I saw the alfalfa post... thought I would pipe in a moment. We feed our horses straight alfalfa cubes, (have for 7 years) we buy them from Menezes in Lockwood they are 7.60 for a 50lb bag. I had a bag get a little wet because of the rain and could not take a chance with the horses so I soaked some of the cubes and fed it to the chickens! They love it. I hope this is okay for them. I spread it out so it would not get moldy, they pick at it for days. Gives them something to do when they can't be out free ranging.

I saw the alfalfa post... thought I would pipe in a moment. We feed our horses straight alfalfa cubes, (have for 7 years) we buy them from Menezes in Lockwood they are 7.60 for a 50lb bag. I had a bag get a little wet because of the rain and could not take a chance with the horses so I soaked some of the cubes and fed it to the chickens! They love it. I hope this is okay for them. I spread it out so it would not get moldy, they pick at it for days. Gives them something to do when they can't be out free ranging.
Exactly! And like I said before - you'll notice the egg yolks are darker and richer tasting. I recommend buying some just for the chickens! I use baled alfalfa - I throw chunks of the "flats" out in their run and they scratch and pick at it for hours on end.

I give mine a flake now and then too. They love it but if your birds don't have access to grit it can cause problems. Luckily for most of us that is not a problem!

They have not started laying yet, they are only 15 weeks this Friday, but they sure do enjoy it. Pretty cheap entertainment since I always have some. Good to know it will not hurt them. Does anyone ever get produce left overs from the grocery stores for their chickens, or are the stores have their hands tied on giving away that stuff?

Other than left over pumpkins at halloween I have had no luck getting older produce from stores. They say they are not allowed to give it away anymore.

Last edited:
Aubrey, that ring is amazing! What a well thought out, personalized design. A work of art to wear everyday! Mark has obviously been planning this for a long time!

Your trip sounds incredible! What a fun and educational itinerary!

How's your mom doing?

Ron, I was born and spent my first 9 years in Whittier. I return a couple of times a year to visit my cousins and my 100 year old granny. She passed away in March. I hope we still get together without the excuse of seeing my granny.

The traffic down there is horrible although I still think the Bay Area has worse traffic! Nothing worse then sitting in traffic!

Back
Top Bottom