Nevadans?

all bow to the garden in Queen Missy.
bow.gif

Loveing all the pictures.
love.gif

Wow aubrey is seems all your broodys are breeds that shouldn't go broody
hu.gif

So remeber that coop i wanted to buy and the guy never could follow through? Well my dad searched him and found posts on the pheox and sacroment craigslist saying he is a scammer and not to buy from him. and he draws it out long enough that you cant get your refund through paypal! my dad emailed him and called him out and he replied that we we the scammers and that he is going to cancle the check he sent this moring(same check he has sent 30 times and has never showed up)!!
somad.gif
rant.gif
please exquse my rant, but the scary part is he knows my adress

is your maran the same age as all of our ameracuanas?

Last edited:
nice photos, ron. your meaties look like regular healthy chickens
thumbsup.gif
and that cactus is beautiful.

seth, sorry you're still having issues with that coop scammer. I hope you guys get your money back. I think my marans is a little older than your ameraucanas by a few weeks.

Hey everyone! So quiet around here. Ron, love the cactus. My husband has beautiful cactus, I'm not a fan of it but man, their blossoms are amazing!

Seth, that whole deal on the coop sounded fishy from the get go. Hope you're able to get your money back. My son lost $300 by someone doing the same thing, stalling until it was too late.

I went to put the chickens away tonight and while collecting eggs in the main coop I heard peeping in there. I check the grow out pen where the broody and 10 chicks stay and there's only 8 lonely chicks. I go inside the main coop and there's the broody on the roost with one chick on one side and one of the polish chicks on the other side under her wing! I can't believe they could get up there!

I left everyone as they were but I'm sure the other 8 will move into the big coop tomorrow, they looked sad their mom abandon them.

Hope everyone is well.

Hey everyone! So quiet around here. Ron, love the cactus. My husband has beautiful cactus, I'm not a fan of it but man, their blossoms are amazing!
Seth, that whole deal on the coop sounded fishy from the get go. Hope you're able to get your money back. My son lost $300 by someone doing the same thing, stalling until it was too late.
I went to put the chickens away tonight and while collecting eggs in the main coop I heard peeping in there. I check the grow out pen where the broody and 10 chicks stay and there's only 8 lonely chicks. I go inside the main coop and there's the broody on the roost with one chick on one side and one of the polish chicks on the other side under her wing! I can't believe they could get up there!
I left everyone as they were but I'm sure the other 8 will move into the big coop tomorrow, they looked sad their mom abandon them.
Hope everyone is well.
I know, it's way too quiet on here. can't believe those chicks were up there with her. hope the others follow along to be with mom.
Does Oxine cure broody??? We have 3 now!!! Out of 9 layers!!!
he.gif
I swear, this is contagious.
I wish. Does not seem to have any effect on my broody. she's staying firm. I take her outside a few times a day and later she'll be back in the box. she has set up shop in the most coveted nest box, too. Found 3 eggs on the coop floor today and our numbers are wayyyy down. not sure if we have egg eating going on without evidence or if the broody, the new curtains, etc. has thrown everyone off their game.

Ok, I am channeling Missy and I looked at grocery flyers today. Scolaris has sweet cherries for 1.99/lb. that was the best price i saw. savemart has pork spareribs for 1.78/lb, avocados 2/$1, whole chicken for 88cents/lb. safeway has corn 6/$1 Smiths has 4 lbs strawberries for 4.99 and 4lbs watermelon for $1. Now I just need to locate a savemart. I have never been to one. scolaris and smiths are easy stops on my way home.

I know, it's way too quiet on here. can't believe those chicks were up there with her. hope the others follow along to be with mom.
I wish. Does not seem to have any effect on my broody. she's staying firm. I take her outside a few times a day and later she'll be back in the box. she has set up shop in the most coveted nest box, too. Found 3 eggs on the coop floor today and our numbers are wayyyy down. not sure if we have egg eating going on without evidence or if the broody, the new curtains, etc. has thrown everyone off their game.

Ok, I am channeling Missy and I looked at grocery flyers today. Scolaris has sweet cherries for 1.99/lb. that was the best price i saw. savemart has pork spareribs for 1.78/lb, avocados 2/$1, whole chicken for 88cents/lb. safeway has corn 6/$1 Smiths has 4 lbs strawberries for 4.99 and 4lbs watermelon for $1. Now I just need to locate a savemart. I have never been to one. scolaris and smiths are easy stops on my way home.

Of course, my 3 broodies now have the best nests. Which makes the ducks unhappy, because they like to sleep in 2 of the lower boxes at night, and now they have hens fighting them. The ameraucanas sleep in the one empty top nesting box. Maybe I need to build boxes for everyone in there, instead of perches. At least the ducks and pullets leave during the day, to give room to drop an egg. But I think some of these hens either kick out the more docile broodies to lay, or just squeeze in with them. I know Sour will let other hens share with her, but Loco lets herself get kicked out, then jumps back in when it's empty again.

There is a Savemart on Plumb and Lakeside, about 2 blocks down the hill from me. I want to hit the Scolaris deal for cherries, but it's pretty far. 6/$1 is really good, and that's the price we paid last year when we bought 2 cases and put it all in the freezer (and boy did it make wonderful corn chowder in the winter.) But the week after that, I saw it 9/$1 so I think I'll wait one more week and see if I can get any lower.

I've never seen avocados cheaper than 2/$1 unless they're going bad and the store is trying to salvage any profit. The chicken deal is good... I often see it for 99 cents/lb, on sale. Ooh I need to hit up the strawberries deal. That's cheap enough to pack in the freezer! Maybe this weekend I'll go bargain hunting down in south Reno.

My peaches are getting ripe, so tomorrow night I'm going to take the ripe ones and make peach/habanero jam. A good friend wants to come over and learn. Whenever that happens, Russ snickers and whispers, "Sucker!" This same friend asked to learn how to process grapes to jelly last year, from start to finish. I said, "Are you SURE?" 25 hours later, she brought her jelly home. Russ is laughing because 1) if friends don't ask to learn, he's stuck helping me, and 2) he figured she'd never ask again after being roped into sharing 25 hours of work. Peaches will be MUCH easier, though.

Oh yeah... and if anyone has any mason jars that they don't need, even if it's just 1 or 2, I'd like to buy them or trade for them. I can get 12 new ones for $6 at Walmart, so I'd need to pay less than 50 cents apiece.

Seth, I hope you can get your money back! I saw some of those warning posts on Craigslist and hoped it wasn't the guy you were dealing with. Is anyone up for a good, old-fashioned coop-raising for Seth?

Last edited:
It is contagious! I had one, then her buddy joined her and after that I'd catch others hanging in the coop on the layers eggs but I moved them immediately and collected eggs several times a day! Two broodies was enough!!!

Hope you can break someone. One is on eggs from Sunny right? Or is that Aubrey?

It is contagious! I had one, then her buddy joined her and after that I'd catch others hanging in the coop on the layers eggs but I moved them immediately and collected eggs several times a day! Two broodies was enough!!!
Hope you can break someone. One is on eggs from Sunny right? Or is that Aubrey?

I have 6 eggs from Sunny that I gave to Loco about a week ago. Sour turned out to be a better sitter than Loco, so I took 3 out and put them under here. But Loco kept letting herself get bullied off of the nest, so the eggs didn't stay warm the whole time, so I don't know how viable they are. Now Tom Ka Gai my BR is broody! I have a pen that I was using for the babies... they still use it for shelter when they want some alone time away from the big girls. Maybe I'll put her in there, or in the mini-coop which is now empty, and close off the nesting box.

Of course, my 3 broodies now have the best nests. Which makes the ducks unhappy, because they like to sleep in 2 of the lower boxes at night, and now they have hens fighting them. The ameraucanas sleep in the one empty top nesting box. Maybe I need to build boxes for everyone in there, instead of perches. At least the ducks and pullets leave during the day, to give room to drop an egg. But I think some of these hens either kick out the more docile broodies to lay, or just squeeze in with them. I know Sour will let other hens share with her, but Loco lets herself get kicked out, then jumps back in when it's empty again.

There is a Savemart on Plumb and Lakeside, about 2 blocks down the hill from me. I want to hit the Scolaris deal for cherries, but it's pretty far. 6/$1 is really good, and that's the price we paid last year when we bought 2 cases and put it all in the freezer (and boy did it make wonderful corn chowder in the winter.) But the week after that, I saw it 9/$1 so I think I'll wait one more week and see if I can get any lower.

I've never seen avocados cheaper than 2/$1 unless they're going bad and the store is trying to salvage any profit. The chicken deal is good... I often see it for 99 cents/lb, on sale. Ooh I need to hit up the strawberries deal. That's cheap enough to pack in the freezer! Maybe this weekend I'll go bargain hunting down in south Reno.

My peaches are getting ripe, so tomorrow night I'm going to take the ripe ones and make peach/habanero jam. A good friend wants to come over and learn. Whenever that happens, Russ snickers and whispers, "Sucker!" This same friend asked to learn how to process grapes to jelly last year, from start to finish. I said, "Are you SURE?" 25 hours later, she brought her jelly home. Russ is laughing because 1) if friends don't ask to learn, he's stuck helping me, and 2) he figured she'd never ask again after being roped into sharing 25 hours of work. Peaches will be MUCH easier, though.

Oh yeah... and if anyone has any mason jars that they don't need, even if it's just 1 or 2, I'd like to buy them or trade for them. I can get 12 new ones for $6 at Walmart, so I'd need to pay less than 50 cents apiece.
I have your jar from the salsa i can give back to you. I'm not sure when I can get over to your part of town but maybe friday. I could just put it in a bag on your porch if you're not around. LOL on the friend helping and Russ's reaction. I have not canned myself but I watched my mom do it growing up. they are coming out at the end of July so maybe I can hit her up for a lesson. They have a raspberry patch and she gets tons to freeze for use throughout the year and to make jam. I was so spoiled to have access to those delicious berries. Good luck on your peach/habanero jam!

I have your jar from the salsa i can give back to you. I'm not sure when I can get over to your part of town but maybe friday. I could just put it in a bag on your porch if you're not around. LOL on the friend helping and Russ's reaction. I have not canned myself but I watched my mom do it growing up. they are coming out at the end of July so maybe I can hit her up for a lesson. They have a raspberry patch and she gets tons to freeze for use throughout the year and to make jam. I was so spoiled to have access to those delicious berries. Good luck on your peach/habanero jam!

I'm booked with clients on Friday, so leaving it on the porch would be great. Thanks! I have several other people asking to learn from me this year, and I can fit 3 people in my kitchen at a time, if anyone wants to join me for a hot, sweaty afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom