Nevadans?

Hi everybody! Had to scan quickly cause we're moving my Dad. So sorry for the short reply. I'll check in soon.
We have one healthy baby, who hatched out before noon. The others tried to hatch between 1 and 5pm today, and didn't make it. It looks like they got caught up in the membrane, and it dried out, even though Tom Ka Gai was being a good mommy. I tried to wash down the outside of the nesting box a few times, and even draped it with an old white sheet. I think the air was just too dry.

Tomorrow I'll put them in the mini coop. The second set of eggs is due to hatch around the 25th.
Maybe Lacey has the right idea then. Marans do like a lot of humidity when they hatch this dry heat has got to be hard on them. If you cleaned up the moist shavings after the hatch was done...
hu.gif

well things do happen in threes I guess. After working my ten hour shift and biking home (mark is out of town with my car) in this heat, I walked inside and was blasted with hot air. 95* in here and the dog and cats are half dead. The pump has already gone out. Im so hot and sick and tired I could just cry. This week sucks.
Bummer! :(
Mind if I post a few garden pics? I went a little camera crazy today. To be polite, these are just the highlights:

Garden #2:

The heirloom beans I got from Sheryl are on the right:

A little color:

Zucchini gone wild:

The driveway garden, sheltered from the sun:

And a security breach:

Are you kidding?!!! You know how much we love pics! Gorgeous gardens!
Ha Ha I love that last pic.

I posted it in the CA thread but wanted to post it here too. I went out to put bottles of ice with my rabbits and my little black OEGB hen had had a nest hidden somewhere and has one baby that looks like her and one that looks like Daddy (Snack). The 2 broodies I knew about are still holding tight, but it was 104 here today. These birds don't quit for anything.

Congrats on the chickie. Sorry the other's didn't make it though. And I love the names! Can't wait to see which one it's gonna be.
Congrats on the babies!
Seeing your garden photos, Missy, I think i need to add more straw for my mulch.

Anyhoo, Jose just had a phone interview for a job and got invited to an in person interview at 2 today. It's for material handler/warehouse and the pay sucks but oh well. it gets his foot in the door and back in the work force. It would be swing shift 2-10:30pm after a training period in days for 2 weeks. The timing would work good for watching the kids when they are off track (year round school schedule). the afterschool care during the week is not too expensive.
fl.gif
it works out.
Good luck!!!
Went out to check on mama millie and when i reached my head into her box she got incredibly defensive and i noticed a neat little pile of eggshell set off to the side....WE HAVE A BABY! its gorgeous! little white fluff ball with fuzzy feet. Its not being active or cheeping so I hope its okay :/ We will see if that green egg makes it too, it was sooooo watery last time i candled. Woo hoo! Hope this lil one makes it! cant wait to show pics!
celebrate.gif

So I was wondering today... do mama hens deal with pasting themselves? Do I need to worry about my baby getting pasted if she's outside with a mom?
If they are outside with Mom eating plenty of grit they won't get pasty butt. A case of pasty butt always reminds me to put grit in the brooder for them.

She has her Dad's puffy cheeks <3
How cute!
love.gif

Oh Aubrey, I thought you used an old pic of your frizzle. I don't blame her wanting to wear T-shirts instead.
lau.gif
LOL, that's funny!

Hi everybody! Had to scan quickly cause we're moving my Dad. So sorry for the short reply. I'll check in soon.
Maybe Lacey has the right idea then. Marans do like a lot of humidity when they hatch this dry heat has got to be hard on them. If you cleaned up the moist shavings after the hatch was done...
hu.gif

Bummer! :(
Are you kidding?!!! You know how much we love pics! Gorgeous gardens!
Congrats on the babies!
Good luck!!!
celebrate.gif

If they are outside with Mom eating plenty of grit they won't get pasty butt. A case of pasty butt always reminds me to put grit in the brooder for them.
Hi Sunny!
frow.gif

When is that show going to be?
I'm still trying to decide on the cockerels. My friend said they both HHS e a lot of potential. I'm leaning towards the light brown though. Do you have girl friends for him?
Hey Tyler! I will have pullets available in a month or two, they are still too young to tell the quality. I hatched over 80 Dutch chicks this year so definately will have some more Dutch to sell. Tyler if you want to wait for next batch of cockerels that is fine or I can save one of these. Let me know before tomorrow morning! I would like to take them to swap tomorrow...

The Poultry Show will be November 17th. Hope everyone marks their Calendars! We will have Vendor space(very reasonable) available if anyone or a group together wants to rent a space to sell items! The more the merrier! The show is the same weekend as the Tanner Flea Market so with signs and advertisement we will get more foot traffic!

Just thought I would share with everybody... I have many young Andalusians that are going to need new homes. I won't be coming to tomorrow's swap because of gas prices and cage prices and then if they don't sell, I'm out a bunch of money. In older birds I have a pair of black leghorn bantams (bought last fall as a cockerel and pullet) and several of their offspring... 14 pullets and 3 cockerels (hatched in December/January). Great ratio! Also, two blue leghorn hens. One is 3 years and the other is 2. All of the leghorn bantams are Jay Horn's line. (oops, pricing removed so I don't get in trouble - will post to auction page) I can do the last group 3 times as I have 3 cockerels, but one group would have 4 pullets. Note that they are brothers and sisters so if you have others you can mix them with, it would be a great deal for whoever wanted to get some other blood into their breeding project.

If anyone is interested, you can let me know by PM. I'll probably be listing them on the auction page in the next day or so.

Last edited:
Hey Tyler!  I will have pullets available in a month or two, they are still too young to tell the quality.  I hatched over 80 Dutch chicks this year so definately will have some more Dutch to sell.  Tyler if you want to wait for next batch of cockerels that is fine or I can save one of these.  Let me know before tomorrow morning!  I would like to take them to swap tomorrow...

The Poultry Show will be November 17th.  Hope everyone marks their Calendars!  We will have Vendor space(very reasonable) available if anyone or a group together wants to rent a space to sell items!  The more the merrier!  The show is the same weekend as the Tanner Flea Market so with signs and advertisement we will get more foot traffic!

Are we going to be able to get a BYC booth again this year? Hopefully I'll have more time to sit and chat with y'all. Unless Julie can find a job for me this year which I wouldn't mind helping again.

Just thought I would share with everybody... I have many young Andalusians that are going to need new homes. I won't be coming to tomorrow's swap because of gas prices and cage prices and then if they don't sell, I'm out a bunch of money. In older birds I have a pair of black leghorn bantams (bought last fall as a cockerel and pullet) and several of their offspring... 14 pullets and 3 cockerels (hatched in December/January). Great ratio! Also, two blue leghorn hens. One is 3 years and the other is 2. All of the leghorn bantams are Jay Horn's line. I'd like $40 for the pair, $10 ea for the blue girls and $50 for one black cockerel with 5 pullets. I can do the last group 3 times as I have 3 cockerels, but one group would have 4 pullets. Note that they are brothers and sisters so if you have others you can mix them with, it would be a great deal for whoever wanted to get some other blood into their breeding project.

If anyone is interested, you can let me know by PM. I'll probably be listing them on the auction page in the next day or so.

I almost ordered a blue andalusian from Ideal this spring, but by the time we put our orders in, they were sold out. I'd be interested in a pullet, but I'd need it confirmed female first, or I'd just have to get rid of it. My silkie rooster is just holding on until he starts crowing, because I really don't want to get rid of him. As far as the others... I'm about up to my limit, and this spring will have to rehome some of my older girls if I want more chicks. But the numbers always go down, so we'll see what happens later. All of the girls I got this year still aren't old enough to lay.

womp womp :( that green egg hasnt even pipped and Millie wasnt setting it this morning- it was cold. I had to move them out of the box so baby could go out and get food and water, so as a last ditch effort i put it under another broody and will give it until tomorrow :/ oh well. Im gonna let another broody set more eggs and try for two babies

Back
Top Bottom