Nevadans?

womp womp :( that green egg hasnt even pipped and Millie wasnt setting it this morning- it was cold. I had to move them out of the box so baby could go out and get food and water, so as a last ditch effort i put it under another broody and will give it until tomorrow :/ oh well. Im gonna let another broody set more eggs and try for two babies

Awwww, that's too bad. But you got one beauty. I'm going to hatch out my second hatch and be done this year. We candled last night and it looks like we have 6 of 9 growing. But since I wasn't sure on the other 3, I just put them back under Sour for another few days.

You would want just one pullet? I have several young girls and they're not even close to laying yet. Would you want her for a yard decoration or to show?

Yep, just one guaranteed pullet. And she'd be a yard decoration. I love variety, but breeding standard or show quality isn't that important to me. I just want a pretty, healthy bird that is a good egg provider.

Awwww, that's too bad. But you got one beauty. I'm going to hatch out my second hatch and be done this year. We candled last night and it looks like we have 6 of 9 growing. But since I wasn't sure on the other 3, I just put them back under Sour for another few days.

Yep, just one guaranteed pullet. And she'd be a yard decoration. I love variety, but breeding standard or show quality isn't that important to me. I just want a pretty, healthy bird that is a good egg provider.

Yep we are very lucky and happy to have Banana! Mr. Pants went to check things out this morning and it was soooo cayute! They look the exact same. He was making little rooster noises at the chick and just staring at it. it was absolutely darling. Millie is showing it how to drink and eat right now in their little cage. Its adorable.

Also I know some people think white eggs are boring but honestly when theyre in a carton with all different colored other eggs they just look so glowy and pure and make the other eggs pop too, I love having a few white eggies with my coloreds!

Yep we are very lucky and happy to have Banana! Mr. Pants went to check things out this morning and it was soooo cayute! They look the exact same. He was making little rooster noises at the chick and just staring at it. it was absolutely darling. Millie is showing it how to drink and eat right now in their little cage. Its adorable.

Also I know some people think white eggs are boring but honestly when theyre in a carton with all different colored other eggs they just look so glowy and pure and make the other eggs pop too, I love having a few white eggies with my coloreds!

I'm looking forward to my white eggs! Right now I have my brabanter, minorca, and leghorn for white eggs, whenever they start laying. I can't imagine even a pullet egg coming out of those little bodies yet. As far as the ameraucanas, I hope I get one green layer and one blue layer out of those two.

I don't know if my welsummer will ever lay normal eggs again. Right now she's broody, and she's not even a dedicated broody, so she's pretty much just existing right now. If she doesn't lay good eggs again, she'll be one of the first to find a new home when I re-evaluate my numbers.

Last edited:
You only have two Ameraucana pullets left from my chicks? The buffs will lay a turquoise egg and if you have a lavender she will lay a green egg.

I'm looking forward to my white eggs! Right now I have my brabanter, minorca, and leghorn for white eggs, whenever they start laying. I can't imagine even a pullet egg coming out of those little bodies yet. As far as the ameraucanas, I hope I get one green layer and one blue layer out of those two.

I don't know if my welsummer will ever lay normal eggs again. Right now she's broody, and she's not even a dedicated broody, so she's pretty much just existing right now. If she doesn't lay good eggs again, she'll be one of the first to find a new home when I re-evaluate my numbers.

ok, what are the ages of the chicks that she would be going in with? Age helps in determining how they'll get along. Of course there will probably be squabbles to start with either way. Will you be getting another pullet from somewhere so she won't be the only new bird? I find its easier to integrate groups, even if I have a single bird if they all go into a place that is new to all of them. Anytime I move mine, they have to try and refigure the pecking order and so its a good time to put new birds in.

Oops! I had Aubrey's comment in here about the green egg...

hmm.png
Probably not viable then. I had some eggs set aside for hatching but these temps have ruined them. I do have 3 that just hatched and a few more due in a couple of days though. I see the hatching bug has bitten again. Smart to let the broody deal with them!
Quote:
lau.gif
LOL, that's funny!

Hi everybody! Had to scan quickly cause we're moving my Dad. So sorry for the short reply. I'll check in soon.
Maybe Lacey has the right idea then. Marans do like a lot of humidity when they hatch this dry heat has got to be hard on them. If you cleaned up the moist shavings after the hatch was done...
hu.gif

Bummer! :(
Are you kidding?!!! You know how much we love pics! Gorgeous gardens!
Congrats on the babies!
Good luck!!!
celebrate.gif

If they are outside with Mom eating plenty of grit they won't get pasty butt. A case of pasty butt always reminds me to put grit in the brooder for them.
Hi Sunny!
frow.gif
Hi Ron! How's it going out there in Dayton?
Anyone selling ancona ducklings?
Darn! We never seem to have what you need! :(
Quote: I may take you up on that. Not sure if I have time to get enough stock together though.
Quote: Oh I am sure they will keep you hoppin like last year!
Quote: Good to know. I will have quite a few white layers by next year.
Quote: I agree. 2 or more is always easier. Still I have done singles before without problems.

ok, what are the ages of the chicks that she would be going in with? Age helps in determining how they'll get along. Of course there will probably be squabbles to start with either way. Will you be getting another pullet from somewhere so she won't be the only new bird? I find its easier to integrate groups, even if I have a single bird if they all go into a place that is new to all of them. Anytime I move mine, they have to try and refigure the pecking order and so its a good time to put new birds in.

I have 3 that are about 17 weeks right now, and 9 that are 12 weeks. Then I have 8 laying hens, ages 10 months to 15 months. Some have a bit more attitude than others, including a SLW who feels it's her job to pick only anything smaller than her, but we don't keep meanies. I can take two birds, if that would make it easier. Right now, we have everyone but the new baby free-ranging in the yard together. It's a good-sized area, so the biggest squabbles would be at treat time and bedtime. I have a 6-foot fenced yard with no netting on top. So far it hasn't been a problem with my brabanter and leghorn, but they were introduced at 6 weeks, so I don't think they even realize there's anything outside the yard. Only one australorp has ever gotten out. I'm not against wing-cutting.

You only have two Ameraucana pullets left from my chicks? The buffs will lay a turquoise egg and if you have a lavender she will lay a green egg.

Yep, I have 3 pullets. There was a very high rooster count, but I got a lavender, a BLRW, and a buff x wheaten. There were a couple more lavender pullets in the group that I had to cull when they got sick. But out of the 8 lavenders you and Kirstie hatched, I only got 1 pullet and 5 roosters. Sheryl took a lavender, which turned out to be a girl, and Sunny took a lavender, but I don't know what gender that turned out to be. 1 pullet out of 3 buff x wheaten. Seth got luck of the draw when he picked his 6 wheatens and got 3 pullets, because the 2 that were left were cockerels. One BLRW out of 3 chicks. But I got one out of each that I wanted, except for the wheaten/BW. We can try for that next spring, if anyone else is interested in a chick run next year.

That's nice to know that I'll get two different colors. They lay later than most breeds, don't they? 8 months or so?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom