Nevadans?

Yep every baker knows that for moist cakes, biscuits, even pancakes, buttermilk is the way to go! Nothing else makes things quite as moist. Funny how I hate the taste of buttermilk by itself but love, love, love it in baked goods. There are other ways to moisten breads etc but in my experience nothing beats buttermilk.
No, I thought it was easy before my back went too. It really is hard work but I love it so much that it doesn't seem like work, or it didn't before anyway. I always wanted to open my own restaurant/bakery and seriously looked into it in the early 80s. The only reason I didn't was because of the horrible profit margin. As much as I love to cook and bake I also didn't want to kill myself in a business that so rarely makes a decent profit. I opened a flower shop instead and did quite well. A lot more profit in flowers. Well at least there used to be.

Yeah, if I ever open up my own shop, I'm thinking less perishable items are the way to go. I'd love to sell my soaps in a shop, or get a high enough price for my art that I can make any kind of profit in a gallery. But the thought of baking all that stuff for possible sale, and throwing it out at the end of the day, freaks me out.

Hi Fellow Nevadans,

I just joined the site and love it. I'm in Fernley, NV (29 miles from Reno). I'd love to connect with anyone near me and talk chicken. I hope everyone has a fabulous Thanksgiving.
Hello fellow Fernley person. I'm in Fernley too. Thank you, my Thanksgiving was great, Black Friday Thanksgiving night not so much but we did get some great deals. Even if the rest of Fernley was there and they were mostly rude. Hope you had a good to great thanksgiving too and
welcome-byc.gif

Hope everyone had a nice thanksgiving! We had a relaxing time at our friends' house. I have lots of organizing to do around the house today but it's so overwhelming to get started. Guess that's why I'm sitting here reading byc!

Baby number one has arrived!!!
yay!
ya.gif
You have had a lot of bad car luck! I hope it settles down and everything starts working right again.
hugs.gif

I have my dad's buttermilk biscuit recipe, and that's the only thing I use anymore.  If I don't have buttermilk, I'll substitute homemade yogurt, but otherwise we stick to the recipe.  Most other biscuits I've tasted are too dry for me, as well.  But we also cook the biscuits just a tiny bit underdone, and cut them extra thick, to keep them nice and moist.

Lol yeah I think that's exactly my reasoning as well.  Maybe, in my mind, I justify the flavor so much that I tell myself it's easier, because I've been doing it for so long.

I do!  Lately I haven't had any commissioned, but I've done quite a few.  And right now is painting season.  (To everything there is a season... lol.)  I won't be planting anything until March, so I have time to get stuff done.  Do you want samples of my work?

would you be willing to share your biscuit recipe? :D

I was really impressed with the pumpkin you painted. I can't commission anything, but would love to see your work!

Back
Top Bottom