Nevadans?

Hi I'm in Henderson is anyone from here? We just got 8 Gold Star chicks and are wondering about how to handle the hotter weather. 

Hi! I'm in NLV, I plan on filling 2L bottles up with water and freezing them to put into,the coops on the hottest days. That and lots of water and shade. Maybe mist down their sand to help keep them cool.

Do you by any chance have twin grandsons that live in town? I have some friends that have twin boys and their names both start with T's and they call them TnT.

Hi I'm in Henderson is anyone from here? We just got 8 Gold Star chicks and are wondering about how to handle the hotter weather.

We had an incredibly hot summer last year. Things I did:
-Provide constant shade, even if you're just draping a white sheet over the run. Since our coop is a darker brown, I draped old white sheets over the entire coop to reflect off the heat.
-I kept about 8 red plastic cups of water in my deep freeze. Every hour or so during the hottest times, I'd drop one into the waterer, cup and all, and just take the cup out with the next drop.
-Don't be afraid to hose down coops or dirt. They don't like being misted, but they liked the damp ground.
-Clip small fans in the coop, on the nesting boxes, etc. to keep air circulating. Make sure the fans have really tight guards on them so the chickens don't get hurt.
-Never let them run out of water.
-I also kept ice packs in the freezer, and tucked a couple in the nesting boxes.

Last edited:
Hi! I'm in NLV, I plan on filling 2L bottles up with water and freezing them to put into,the coops on the hottest days. That and lots of water and shade. Maybe mist down their sand to help keep them cool.

Do you by any chance have twin grandsons that live in town? I have some friends that have twin boys and their names both start with T's and they call them TnT.
Not twins but they are Tyler and Tayden. Those two are full of TNT LOL.

I've also heard people put out frozen treats like watermelon in summer. My coop is off the ground so they always have that as shade even midday.

I've also heard people put out frozen treats like watermelon in summer. My coop is off the ground so they always have that as shade even midday.

Ooh yeah, one day last summer, I pulled out half of a watermelon out of the fridge, that we hadn't eaten for some weird reason. The chickens loved it... then the ducks got to it! My blue Swedish drakes had red bellies! They dove in so vigorously that they had melon dripping from the tops of their heads!

So uh.... I have a confession. We went to Green's Feed to load up on supplies today, since my husband got a bonus from work. They had "ameraucana" chicks there. (Hehehe notice the quotation marks. I'm sure most of us will get the joke.) Anyway... I figured, since I have 2 broodies... so yeah, there are 4 new babies under Jerk. She's going to stay in her nesting box with them all night, then tomorrow when the weather's nicer I'll move them to the mini-coop.

Latest thoughts on my mind...
You know my seedling project I have every year?  Well, it's totally exploded.  The seedlings are about 2 inches tall, and 270 of them have been pre-sold, including some that Sunny donated to my cause.  I have 100 left, and I expect the rest of the tomatoes to completely sell out today or tomorrow.  I told friends about my little sale, and the reservation list, and they jumped on it!  Like crazy! So it got me thinking... Renting a commercial space would be more money than I would actually make, unless I managed to do this on such a huge scale that it was my full-time gig.  But what if we did a Nevada BYC Cooperative or something?  Seedlings plus eggs plus baby chicks plus crafts or jams/jellies?  I dunno... This is really just how my mind works.  Something is successful, and my brain goes crazy about it.

Russ and I decided that, in the very least, we'll do the seedlings next year and all profits will become "fun money," divided among the family by whoever does the most work.

I was actually thinking about something like that, but I need to talk to my mom about it. And congrats on the new chicks!! What does Russ think? lol/ Ariel picked out two Silver Campines and an Ameraucana chick from Greens about two weeks ago, she loves them. They're her first chicks that are only hers, I'm starting her young, haha.. She's so adorable, she freaked out when I told her one of them would lay green eggs.

Jackie, I love Lemmon Valley, but I'm biased. I've lived there since I was like two.

Here are this springs ducklings!! They're almost six weeks old.

That picture actually cracks me up, that's why I posted it. They kept trying to eat my phone camera eye. Sorry for the multiple post guys!! I upload directly from my phone onto BYC now, I found it's easier than transferring the pics to the computer.

By the way, I completed my first Quilt block. Not bad. :) I hope I do well on the whole thing.

Back
Top Bottom