Nevadans?

In slightly more chicken related news, I have a coop full of chaos. None of my girls are laying, and I have four that have played previously. They are not obviously broody, they all act healthy and happy, but not one egg!
I think it may be the heat. My production fell off sharply also. Those are some really nice looking Delawares you've got there, too! Where did you get them?

Ron, the ones you are reffering to are supposedly easter eggers, gifted by SunnyDawn. If they would deign to lay an egg or two I could confirm whether they are EEs or Delawares!

Today I found another clutch from Gretel in a completely different place...
barnie.gif
If only there weren't so many bushes in our yard!

Our Barred Rock is laying her first egg! She's been playing house with two golf balls and constructing the perfect nest for the last hour. I think she's just milking the fact that Hubby only leaves the swamp cooler on in the coop til all the girls lay. Lol :)

Our Barred Rock is laying her first egg! She's been playing house with two golf balls and constructing the perfect nest for the last hour. I think she's just milking the fact that Hubby only leaves the swamp cooler on in the coop til all the girls lay. Lol
smile.png
swamp cooler! Don't let my girls hear about that. they would go on strike until I put one in their coop!

We tried a regular fan first. I swear they were going to die of heat stroke when they went in to lay. Upgraded to swamp cooler to make laying easier. :) Didn't want them to do it in the yard instead. Its hotter than the pits of hell in our coop. 102' here at noon. Gag! :p

We tried a regular fan first. I swear they were going to die of heat stroke when they went in to lay. Upgraded to swamp cooler to make laying easier.
smile.png
Didn't want them to do it in the yard instead. Its hotter than the pits of hell in our coop. 102' here at noon. Gag! :p

We have a swamp cooler, but our coop isn't big enough for it. We hit 111 today, had the mister on since this morning, and have hosed down the run every few hours.

We have a large rolling swamp cooler for our garage/shop. We just took it out, attached the hose and aimed it in the door at the nesting boxes. Worked great. The girls weren't panting and suffering the whole time. Felt horrible for them before. A couple hours a day isn't going to hurt the power bill. :) Happy hens....happy Mama.

Back
Top Bottom