Nevadans?

Glad to have you join our flock, JakesMama!

welcome-byc.gif

On May 22, my sister discovered someone had dumped 6 chickens in the desert next to our house
sad.png
A fter recruiting a neighbor and my mom, we caught all 6 and I decided to keep them. They are 2 RIRs, 1 White Leghorn, 1 Barred Rock, 1 Red Sexlink (I think) and 1 Ameraucana
smile.png
Well, after battles with flies and building bigger coops, today one of my original Leghorns (Lucy) laid her first egg!!! [/quote] Isn't the dumping sad?! We live in Dayton, way out on property surrounded by BLM land and have seen more dumping this year than ever. Even up 6 mile canyon by Virginia City. Dumb people. Glad you saved them. And congrats on your egg! My Leghorn just started laying too. Pretty little thing in my basket of Marans eggs and regular brown eggs. :)

Anyone know where I can get some call ducklings in NV? My mom wanted some for her birthday, so I ordered some eggs and tried to hatch them, but only 2 out of 24 developed... Ill be lucky if those make it to hatch.

Hi Christabelle, I raise call ducks but I only sell adults in the fall if I have any extras. I have very small Calls and they are difficult to hatch. Out of my 5 breeding pens I have only hatched 6 that lived this year. I hatched 22 last year. I still have more eggs in the morning incubator so fingers crossed they hatch. Alot of them die on hatch day because of their large heads and tiny beaks they can't externally pip and their short necks prevent them from zipping. Keep a close eye on your 2 on hatch day incase the need assistance. Pm me if you need help I can walk you thru it. I have whites, greys, blue fawns, and pied call ducks. Love these little characters alot!!

Hi Everyone! I didn't know there was a Nevada thread until just today, so I thought I'd stop by to say hello! My name is Amy and I'm currently in Sun Valley and I am totally new to chickenry. I started with 2 White Leghorns and a Buff Orpington in March of this year. On May 22, my sister discovered someone had dumped 6 chickens in the desert next to our house
sad.png
After recruiting a neighbor and my mom, we caught all 6 and I decided to keep them. They are 2 RIRs, 1 White Leghorn, 1 Barred Rock, 1 Red Sexlink (I think) and 1 Ameraucana
smile.png
Well, after battles with flies and building bigger coops, today one of my original Leghorns (Lucy) laid her first egg!!!
yippiechickie.gif
wee.gif

I hope to meet some interesting and cool people here!
Welcome to the Nevada thread. Thank you so much for rescuing the chickens. I don't understand how people could do that. I live out here at Lake Lahontan, by Silver Springs, and they are always dumping something out here. First time I have ever heard of chickens. They can't live a few hours in this heat without water. Wish I could catch some of these people and turn them in. Signs all over...No Dumping Animals. Well glad they have a good home.

Welcome again, there are nice people on this thread.

Had a great time at the bbq at Rancho San Rafael park, I'm hoping we can get even more people at the next one. Hope everyone is doing well. This thread has become very quiet.

Hi all. Just checking in....

The house in NM closed on the 15th and we got the keys the 16th and I've been here ever since retrofitting the place getting appliances in before getting furniture down here...It's going to be a long process before we're finally in here. Roses that have gone a couple of years without pruning are not a pretty sight and I'm doing my best not to get shredded. It's so nice working (and it is work at this point) in the garden in the morning and hearing horses clip-clop down the street in their morning rides. Off in the distance I can hear roosters!! I'm loving it.

It is monsoon season here...more like a wrathful baptism! Thursday night was hellacious thunder and lightning that shook the house and the next night was an extreme weather event with winds clocked at over 80 mph (that's like a Category 1 hurricane), marble-sized hail fell (a deafening cacophony on the skylights), torrential rains (we got over 4 inches), battering winds and, of course, the power outage. I was on the computer checking out Doppler before electricity cut out and the color for our area of ABQ (Corrales) was an intense dark purple.....the far extreme of what Doppler maps will show. The house held up fine, but it was not a good night for leafy plants....The next morning found my yard was in tatters, leaf debris everywhere. In the grape arbors the grapes were stripped off the vine and all leaves either gone or shredded. What little fruit crop there was in the orchard is severely diminished now. My willow tree is nekkid. Luckily no trees toppled, but I am going to have to replace a lot of exterior flood lights. Wow! Intense. Parts of town flooded and roads washed out. Our neighbors now have a lake out in front of their house. At one point during the deluge I looked outside to see our cul de sac 6" deep in water and the other neighbor's construction remnants and garbage can floating downstream to the street.

Great neighborhood, though. The neighbors called me up in the midst of the storm to check up on me and assure me that this was not typical of monsoon season. They're also looking forward to the chicken coop. BIG coyote problem here, so will have to engineer Ft. Knox for chickens. Also a big problem is the cottontail rabbit population.... Yeah, the two problems kind of support each other. The vegetable garden is fenced, but laughably. I have found rabbit dens and tunnels everywhere...in one section of the garden it's hard to walk without sinking through the earth and into a tunnel. Any clues on how to remedy the rabbits? My husband suggests taking the greyhound in, but I'd like something a little more humane.

I'll be back in Nevada on Thursday....just in time for Shark Week! Cannot say I've missed the Las Vegas heat, but I've been sweating all the same.

Had a great time at the bbq at Rancho San Rafael park, I'm hoping we can get even more people at the next one. Hope everyone is doing well. This thread has become very quiet.
I hope to join the next get together ( even though I'm technically in California ) But the birth of my grandson and my 40th birthday party had me running 24 hours a day this weekend. James Russell Anderson joined us at 5:22 on Sunday morning 7 lbs. 13 oz. and clear beautiful eyes! I'm so excited to be Nana Kandi
Hi all. Just checking in.... The house in NM closed on the 15th and we got the keys the 16th and I've been here ever since retrofitting the place getting appliances in before getting furniture down here...It's going to be a long process before we're finally in here. Roses that have gone a couple of years without pruning are not a pretty sight and I'm doing my best not to get shredded. It's so nice working (and it is work at this point) in the garden in the morning and hearing horses clip-clop down the street in their morning rides. Off in the distance I can hear roosters!! I'm loving it. It is monsoon season here...more like a wrathful baptism! Thursday night was hellacious thunder and lightning that shook the house and the next night was an extreme weather event with winds clocked at over 80 mph (that's like a Category 1 hurricane), marble-sized hail fell (a deafening cacophony on the skylights), torrential rains (we got over 4 inches), battering winds and, of course, the power outage. I was on the computer checking out Doppler before electricity cut out and the color for our area of ABQ (Corrales) was an intense dark purple.....the far extreme of what Doppler maps will show. The house held up fine, but it was not a good night for leafy plants....The next morning found my yard was in tatters, leaf debris everywhere. In the grape arbors the grapes were stripped off the vine and all leaves either gone or shredded. What little fruit crop there was in the orchard is severely diminished now. My willow tree is nekkid. Luckily no trees toppled, but I am going to have to replace a lot of exterior flood lights. Wow! Intense. Parts of town flooded and roads washed out. Our neighbors now have a lake out in front of their house. At one point during the deluge I looked outside to see our cul de sac 6" deep in water and the other neighbor's construction remnants and garbage can floating downstream to the street. Great neighborhood, though. The neighbors called me up in the midst of the storm to check up on me and assure me that this was not typical of monsoon season. They're also looking forward to the chicken coop. BIG coyote problem here, so will have to engineer Ft. Knox for chickens. Also a big problem is the cottontail rabbit population.... Yeah, the two problems kind of support each other. The vegetable garden is fenced, but laughably. I have found rabbit dens and tunnels everywhere...in one section of the garden it's hard to walk without sinking through the earth and into a tunnel. Any clues on how to remedy the rabbits? My husband suggests taking the greyhound in, but I'd like something a little more humane. I'll be back in Nevada on Thursday....just in time for Shark Week! Cannot say I've missed the Las Vegas heat, but I've been sweating all the same.
Aur cats Take care of all the cottontail rabbits at first it was sad but they caused so much damage in the garden that we got over it quickly. One of our cats even brings his left over to the dog run for our charcoal lab to share pretty funny turn of events.
Was enjoying twilight on the porch and this fellow came up. Since he's a regular I thought he should have a name. Any suggestions? Why Prince Herbert of course !

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom