Nevadans?

someone on the raising chicks section gave me a link to poultry podiatry site. Lots of info there so I may be able to figure something out. certainly may be splayed leg. I think I will try to set up another small brooder to move her to with a couple of the other smaller chicks. I wish I could do that tonight but I don't have anything suitable that is cat proof or another light . well, I should get some sleep. I wish she would stay in the less populated half of the brooder but she keeps joining the crowd and getting stepped on. good night!

I don't know, the one I had with splayed leg didn't lay on her side. The leg just went out to the side. The bandaid method popped her right up and she could walk, but in the end it didn't work. I now have a crippled chicken. I actually think it happened in the egg. She had a hard time getting out, then standing. She was a cryer too. BTW, she's 8 months and she gets herself around, in and out of the coop and run and back. I don't know how she's made it but she has nice shiny feathers except where she uses her wing to help her walk. She a sweetie.

I'm wondering if yours has something nuerological. They grow so fast, hope you figure it out soon.

thanks. I am going to get another bin and light today and put her in there with a few other chicks. I will try less bedding and maybe putting a towel or something over it for her to have something to grip on to when she walks. We'll see but mainly for now I just want her with less chicks around so she doesn't get trampled. there's so much info on that poultry podiatry site, it's a bit overwhelming and I'm still not sure what the problem is.

Good luck!
smile.png

I hope you figure out whats wrong with your chick soon.
hugs.gif

Sunny, cute chicks!! And I love Fort Bragg.
lol.png
Havent been there in over two years though.
hmm.png

So this weekend we made the goats a 'winter' house. It tired me all out, but its a good house.

I know Im a bit late on the topic, but I quarentine all my birds. My mom's friend gave me a couple banties hens she didnt want anymore and I just tossed them in, and they happened to be a carrier of Coryza. Ug. Luckily they werent in the general population, they were in with three or four silkies we had seperated. Good news, we didnt have to cull our whole flock (Wiped everything down, and sprayed a bleach/water mixture on the ground where they were housed, still keeping an eye out in case theres a disease outbreak in the main pen) Bad news, we still had to off half a dozen banties and bury them. No one wanted to eat coryza-chickens, and we were worried about feeding them to the dogs. Lesson learned. I dont care if God himself came down with a Holy chicken, I'd direct him to the quarentine pens.

Quote:
Thank you! It was overcast the whole time we were there, though that's no surprise. Love the new avatar!!! Is it a kiwi?

I find most people think quarantine is not worth the effort, until they learn the hard way. IT has nothing to do with weather the person you got a new animal form was nice or trust able. It is about allowing a problem to develop and show symptoms that are not yet showing. If you are getting a sick animal you know is sick you would isolate it.

When I was in the 6th grade we went from having 700 rabbits to 300 in 3 months. That was my lesson in quarantining.

Quote:
Rabbit quarantine for me is super strict. All rabbits are 30 days cages are bleached and let sit for at least 24 hours and feeders are soaked in bleach for 24 hours washed and let sit for anotehr 24 hours.

well, my little australorp is still having problems with her legs. I got another bin and light and made the brooder tonight. I put a towel over the bedding and put her in there with two of the other smaller chicks. It doesn't seem to be splayed leg since the legs don't go out to the side. wondering about curled toes now. I will have to read up some more and see what I can come up with.

Back
Top Bottom