Nevadans?

Why won't you have Lavs after tomorrow??

I'm holding back lots this year and I'll only keep the best ones for breeding next year, so when you're ready, I'll have them. Hoping i get enough pullets to work with and at least one more roo.

Why won't you have Lavs after tomorrow??

I'm holding back lots this year and I'll only keep the best ones for breeding next year, so when you're ready, I'll have them. Hoping i get enough pullets to work with and at least one more roo.
I have to downsize the flock due to my neighbor. I had 2 lavenders and 2 black/lav splits. 1 of each went to aubrey and the other two are going to another BYC member on this thread. Now I'm trying to rehome several more birds to get down to 12-14 and see if that calms the situation down. I have had to make some tough choices but I don't want to lose the whole flock.

I have to downsize the flock due to my neighbor. I had 2 lavenders and 2 black/lav splits. 1 of each went to aubrey and the other two are going to another BYC member on this thread. Now I'm trying to rehome several more birds to get down to 12-14 and see if that calms the situation down. I have had to make some tough choices but I don't want to lose the whole flock.
what is your zoning ? how many can you keep?
chickens shouldn't be considered a noise violation.

Missy has matched me up with one of her friends who will take the rest of the chickens I've designated for rehoming! thanks, Missy!
smile.png

Maybe I'll have to start buying eggs from my fellow BYCers now. Ok, probably not but we do eat lots of eggs in our house. I'm going to have to get tough on my broodies.
what is your zoning ? how many can you keep?
chickens shouldn't be considered a noise violation.
Well, Reno is fairly lax as is Washoe County. Reno allows them and doesn't specify a number. the only caveat is the noise ordinance for any animal. So if someone is bothered by an animal making noise, they can report to animal services. then there is the notice and a process that follows if the complainer doesn't feel it is resolved. the burden is on the complainer to prove that this is a noise violation. I think if it came to that, I would be fine. I don't think a reasonable person would think this was too noisy but who knows. It says that it is not unlawful for an animal to make noise--just if it becomes a nuisance. Anyway, I just live in the wrong neighborhood. I should live where Missy or Aubrey live!

Missy has matched me up with one of her friends who will take the rest of the chickens I've designated for rehoming! thanks, Missy!
smile.png

Maybe I'll have to start buying eggs from my fellow BYCers now. Ok, probably not but we do eat lots of eggs in our house. I'm going to have to get tough on my broodies.
Well, Reno is fairly lax as is Washoe County. Reno allows them and doesn't specify a number. the only caveat is the noise ordinance for any animal. So if someone is bothered by an animal making noise, they can report to animal services. then there is the notice and a process that follows if the complainer doesn't feel it is resolved. the burden is on the complainer to prove that this is a noise violation. I think if it came to that, I would be fine. I don't think a reasonable person would think this was too noisy but who knows. It says that it is not unlawful for an animal to make noise--just if it becomes a nuisance. Anyway, I just live in the wrong neighborhood. I should live where Missy or Aubrey live!

It's soooo all about the neighbors. Mine are all working class people, totally awesome. I'm sure I got lucky. We just mind our own business, and lend each other shovels and tools. So far, it's all good. I try really super hard to keep the noise down, though. Gozer is learning not to bark or chase chickens. (Present tense: learning. We're still getting there.)

Elizabeth I wish you could come be MY neighbor!!!
me too!
It's soooo all about the neighbors. Mine are all working class people, totally awesome. I'm sure I got lucky. We just mind our own business, and lend each other shovels and tools. So far, it's all good. I try really super hard to keep the noise down, though. Gozer is learning not to bark or chase chickens. (Present tense: learning. We're still getting there.)
well, I must say that all the neighbors aren't bad. It's just not really a backyard chicken sort of neighborhood. The neighbors on each side of us are cool and they work a lot so they aren't just sitting around listening for chicken noises. that helps! the ones on the right have 5 cats and have no issues with the chickens. we have taken care of their cats while they're on vacation and vice versa.

Hey Ron, We got many of our hives by capturing swarms. We have even done a couple of cut outs. So we have been working hard to get them.
We have gotten nearly 100 lbs of honey so far and looking at getting maybe 240 more or so. The of our hives are booming. two more are doing very well and the rest are just young swarms struggling to get ready for winter.

Good news for you on the mite situation. Just remember you don't see the mites you see the symptoms that they have them. As for treatment. Sugar sudting seems to be one of the beter ones if you do not want to treat. I myself use treatments and have had to knock back mites at least once. One of the best treatments I have found is Oxalic Acid. My number one way to keep them disease free is to focus on keeping them very healthy. that sounds obvious but is not nearly as much so as it woudl seem. I simply find strong well populated colonies have fewer health issues.

It is way to long between visits for me. Sorry to hear that Sunny is limited in access. My seasonal stuff should slow down soon and I hopefully will have more time to just visit on the net instead of work.

Hi there friends!
Anyone want a black austrolorp rooster? 11 mos old.....we are mixing are flock up a little and would like to "re home" this one!
Thanks!!!!
Happy gardening, homesteading, chicken flocking!
1f600.png

Back
Top Bottom