Nevadans?

What do you mean the BW rooster chick from my eggs is not the right color? Could be he is out of the Cree pullets and these are their first offspring, so I have no idea what they will look like. I am finally keeping a couple of pullets out of them (I think- my two Smith hens are in that pen) for myself. I had a couple of extra chicks from an order I did and luckily they both turned out to be girls
smile.png
I am also keeping two GCM pullets (sold all the rest I've hatched) that I hatched at the same time from the super dark eggs that have, that have not faded at all over their laying cycle. I am really surprised you got mostly GCM boys since I have consistently hatched more pullets from those eggs. Glad you got so many OE pullets though. Funny how the boys, but not girls got the feathered feet. How many W/BW Ameraucana pullets did you end up with?

I don't know if he's the wrong color. Lol :) He's a really pretty light blue. Love him. He's just not what I have usually seen being used by breeders. I guess when he matures I'll see what he will really turn into. Either way, he's a keeper. I'll have to see how many wheaten girls I have. I lost a couple that were broody raised, but other than that, they all have done really well. Even the little handicapped girl with the weird eyes. She's happy and healthy.

Counting them all.......****shudder******* :p

I don't know if he's the wrong color. Lol
smile.png
He's a really pretty light blue. Love him. He's just not what I have usually seen being used by breeders. I guess when he matures I'll see what he will really turn into. Either way, he's a keeper. I'll have to see how many wheaten girls I have. I lost a couple that were broody raised, but other than that, they all have done really well. Even the little handicapped girl with the weird eyes. She's happy and healthy.

Counting them all.......****shudder*******
tongue.png
I will be looking forward to seeing pictures of him. I like the lighter blue. It will turn darker as he matures.

Glad to hear the pullet with the funny eyes is doing well. The LR BW rooster has weird eyes and both roosters eyes are the wrong color. They are supposed to be bay (reddish brown) and these two have sort of light, hazel eyes. Might have to hatch a better rooster from a different breeder.
sad.png

What do I do?? I need to merge someone. I have an inherited flock of 6 that are about a year old. I have a group of 3 that are currently 8 weeks old and I have a brooder box with 3 week olds. Next weekend the brooder box group will be ready to come out. Do I put them in with the group of 3?? Or do I merge the group of 3 with the established hens? And how do I do it with minimal upset and minimal fighting and reduce risk if injury. I am so nervous.

And HOW do I merge them?

The "seeing but not touching" tactic is the way to go. If you have a large run you can section off a little area or setup a makeshift run outside your permanent run for a week or so so that they can hear and see each other. 8 weeks to me seems a little young but it just depends on your flock. Give them time to adjust to each other because you don't want your babies hurt. :) Good luck.

What do I do?? I need to merge someone. I have an inherited flock of 6 that are about a year old. I have a group of 3 that are currently 8 weeks old and I have a brooder box with 3 week olds. Next weekend the brooder box group will be ready to come out. Do I put them in with the group of 3?? Or do I merge the group of 3 with the established hens? And how do I do it with minimal upset and minimal fighting and reduce risk if injury. I am so nervous.

Well, I wouldn't advise merging the 8 week olds with the 3 week olds, because chicks grow fast and the size difference will be gigantic, plus the 3 week olds will basically have no defenses compared to the big chicks. So your best bet is probably to merge the 8 week olds with the flock of 6. Do what kmollyhughes said, and when you feel they are ready I would allow them to run around with the big chickens WHILE BEING SUPERVISED. If it goes well, I would keep them inside for a day and then put them in the coop when the other hens are sleeping. Probably you want to put a hiding place in there that the 8 week olds can fit in but the older chickens can't upset or get into, just in case. I don't have the most experience points in this area, as I have only done this once with 1 year olds, a 2 year old, and a pullet, so don't rely on my advice completely, but I have done tons of research on chickens, and from my reading that's about the safest way.

Candy - Wilma is doing great. Betty is eggbound right now and we're doing our best to help her get it out. Betty laid a big egg 2 days ago and yesterday she stayed in the coop, which I thought was strange and I kept checking on her. This morning she was under the coop standing there. I picked her up and saw the yellow dripping out of her vent and she's bent over. She was very weak. I have her separated right now from everyone and she's got a lot more energy. I know she was eating the oyster shell so I'm really surprised she became eggbound. I'm hoping she passes the egg by morning. I'm going to give her another bath and lube her vent area to try to help it along. I can't feel any egg inside her so I do not know exactly where it is. I thought for sure I was going to lose her today but she's hanging in there.

The yellow dripping has stopped now so I know the egg moved. She looks really good right now. I put the KY in her vent tonight to help her along and she's getting another bath if she hasn't laid the egg by morning. I'll do the vinegar wash as soon as she gets the egg out. I'm really hoping she makes it through this.

Back
Top Bottom