Nevadans?

awww is he a speckled sussex? my most FAVORITE chicken ended up being a SS roo so we had to rehome him. But thanks to Mandy in Virginia City, he now has a small heiram of ladies he's entertaining
love.gif
thanks for sharing the beautiful picture!!!

Congrats! Yep, those eggs pop out of nowhere and you find them everywhere. She'll soon get the hang of it and start laying in the nest box.

No, not crossed. Her top part of her beak is just way longer than I've ever seen on such a young bird. Like she's not rubbing it foraging enough or something...if that makes any sense. I'll see if I can get a picture. If I should just leave it, I will. I just worry it'll eventually be hard for her to eat if it gets longer. My husband says she looks like a hawk.
I would just check her weight periodically to be sure she can take in enough food. My d'Anver chick started loosing weight so I new I had to do something.

Chickee! :) Some of your girls and one of your boys. They were following me around the front yard yesterday cleaning up after a storm cell that went over us and blew everything around. Your brahma mix looks like she's going to be the first to lay. The cockerel is the darker of the two we kept. Bud is a ladies man. :)

He's so manly. :)

Chickee!
smile.png
Some of your girls and one of your boys. They were following me around the front yard yesterday cleaning up after a storm cell that went over us and blew everything around. Your brahma mix looks like she's going to be the first to lay. The cockerel is the darker of the two we kept. Bud is a ladies man.
smile.png

He's so manly.
smile.png

Wow! They are beautiful! I love the coloring on OEs and the blue Cochin x GCM hen is SO pretty! Really curious what color egg she will lay. She does look close! I like the coloring on your GCM rooster even better than the one I kept! He is so nice and dark! The type on the Ameraucana hen is looking good! I am real happy with how they have turned out!

What a great yard for them! They look real happy!

We were in Truckee today (it was short notice) but the headstone has to be re-ordered due to a chipped corner, so we will be back up there in a week if you want me to collect eggs for you.

Wow! They are beautiful! I love the coloring on OEs and the blue Cochin x GCM hen is SO pretty! Really curious what color egg she will lay. She does look close! I like the coloring on your GCM rooster even better than the one I kept! He is so nice and dark! The type on the Ameraucana hen is looking good! I am real happy with how they have turned out! 

What a great yard for them! They look real happy! 

We were in Truckee today (it was short notice) but the headstone has to be re-ordered due to a chipped corner, so we will be back up there in a week if you want me to collect eggs for you. 

Aw! I would've taken eggs, but just sent in one of my incubators for service. Cooked my last set of sizzle eggs. :( In lockdown!!! I was so mad...and sad. I woke up at about 3 am and just happened to check the incubator. It was HOT! I called Brinsea and they said it must've shorted out somewhere. Sent it in last week. All my sizzles are broody so won't be able to collect to try again for a while. Seeing what hatches from them is always fun because they're all different and some really cool little color variations come up sometimes. Love them.

Is it your mother-in-laws headstone? If so, I'm so sorry! I don't think I knew she passed if it is. :(

We were right....CochinX was super close. Ha! Her first two eggs this weekend:

Aw! I would've taken eggs, but just sent in one of my incubators for service. Cooked my last set of sizzle eggs.
sad.png
In lockdown!!! I was so mad...and sad. I woke up at about 3 am and just happened to check the incubator. It was HOT! I called Brinsea and they said it must've shorted out somewhere. Sent it in last week. All my sizzles are broody so won't be able to collect to try again for a while. Seeing what hatches from them is always fun because they're all different and some really cool little color variations come up sometimes. Love them.

Is it your mother-in-laws headstone? If so, I'm so sorry! I don't think I knew she passed if it is.
sad.png

We were right....CochinX was super close. Ha! Her first two eggs this weekend:

Interesting that she is laying the same color egg as her mother. Are you sure both the eggs came from her? They look so different. I thought with the GCM mixed in that she would lay a darker egg, but the golden brown colored egg is pretty!

What a bummer about your incubator!! I have not had one malfunction on me yet. Hope it gets fixed quick and your sizzles stop being broody so you can try again.

No, the headstone is for "my" mother who passed away last year. My MIL is now in a care home. She wasn't safe to be at home anymore.

ut-oh..RUBBER EGGS!!!!
ep.gif
We have four girls approx 18 weeks old. The Barred Rock and Red Sex link have been each laying every other day for the last 10 days. They stated out beautiful hard shelled brown eggs. (The Easter Egger and Buff Orpington haven't started yet, I don't think???) Someone has laid a rubber egg twice now. and not where they usually lay their eggs, it's almost like they just fell out while they were walking around. I cannot figure out who it is but I think it's one of the two that have already started laying regular nice hard shelled eggs. Could the heat be stressing them and causing this? They free range the backyard during the day but unfortunately its mostly rock so they don't have access to much in for for of greenery out there. I feed them Bar Ale feed from 1 Stop along with some left overn Scratch n Peck starter feed I got at the co-op (it's NOT scratch, it's a balanced no gmo, organic soy free whole food) The ONLY thing I've been doing differently is giving them more goodies, i.e. apples, watermelon, lettuce, and other fruit I can freeze to help cool them on these hot days. Could the addition of fruits cause rubber eggs because they're not eating as much of the Bar Ale pellets? In addition they get free feed oyster shell and grit, which they love! Oh I almost forgot, they also get snacks of sprouted shelled sunflower seeds and dried meal worms.
I'm hoping it's just the heat or them getting used to their new talent and not something I'm doing wrong
idunno.gif

ut-oh..RUBBER EGGS!!!!
ep.gif
We have four girls approx 18 weeks old. The Barred Rock and Red Sex link have been each laying every other day for the last 10 days. They stated out beautiful hard shelled brown eggs. (The Easter Egger and Buff Orpington haven't started yet, I don't think???) Someone has laid a rubber egg twice now. and not where they usually lay their eggs, it's almost like they just fell out while they were walking around. I cannot figure out who it is but I think it's one of the two that have already started laying regular nice hard shelled eggs. Could the heat be stressing them and causing this? They free range the backyard during the day but unfortunately its mostly rock so they don't have access to much in for for of greenery out there. I feed them Bar Ale feed from 1 Stop along with some left overn Scratch n Peck starter feed I got at the co-op (it's NOT scratch, it's a balanced no gmo, organic soy free whole food) The ONLY thing I've been doing differently is giving them more goodies, i.e. apples, watermelon, lettuce, and other fruit I can freeze to help cool them on these hot days. Could the addition of fruits cause rubber eggs because they're not eating as much of the Bar Ale pellets? In addition they get free feed oyster shell and grit, which they love! Oh I almost forgot, they also get snacks of sprouted shelled sunflower seeds and dried meal worms.
I'm hoping it's just the heat or them getting used to their new talent and not something I'm doing wrong
idunno.gif

Give them less fruit, sunflower seeds, and dried meal worms. All of the snack foods are chicken ice cream and cake and should be fed very sparingly. Use a fan or possibly put some ice in their waterer is you need to cool them. Heat will stress them and one problem with heat is that they tend to eat less, and that means that they are having to rob their little biddy bodies to make those eggs. If they are new to laying, you can expect to find the occasional rubber egg outside of where they normally nest. Do you know how to inspect their rumps to see if they are laying yet or not? If you do, check and see if one of your other girls has started to lay - it seems that they aren't too sure of what is happening to them when they first start to lay, so one will find rubber eggs and even regular eggs under the roosts and so on.

Do you know how to inspect their rumps to see if they are laying yet or not? If you do, check and see if one of your other girls has started to lay - it seems that they aren't too sure of what is happening to them when they first start to lay, so one will find rubber eggs and even regular eggs under the roosts and so on.
Thank you for the advice
smile.png
I'll definitely cut back on all the fruit, seeds and mealworms, it's just so cute to walk into my bedroom and see four little sets of eyes staring in through the sliding glass door, begging for a meal worm, ha ha. Are greens ok to feed daily? We also sprout mung beans and barley for treats, I'll have to stick to things like that opposed to a nice cold watermelon rind and frozen peaches.
I've offered them a shallow bucket type container with cool water but they're afraid of it. Even dipped them up to their bellies which was met with disgust and noise
D.gif

We trimmed wings and vent feathers yesterday and it looks like only two of them are layers. I'm brand new to this but two of the vents definitely looked different that the other two.

Thank you again & have a wonderful week!
Kristen

Thank you for the advice
smile.png
I'll definitely cut back on all the fruit, seeds and mealworms, it's just so cute to walk into my bedroom and see four little sets of eyes staring in through the sliding glass door, begging for a meal worm, ha ha. Are greens ok to feed daily? We also sprout mung beans and barley for treats, I'll have to stick to things like that opposed to a nice cold watermelon rind and frozen peaches.
I've offered them a shallow bucket type container with cool water but they're afraid of it. Even dipped them up to their bellies which was met with disgust and noise
D.gif

We trimmed wings and vent feathers yesterday and it looks like only two of them are layers. I'm brand new to this but two of the vents definitely looked different that the other two.

Thank you again & have a wonderful week!
Kristen

Give them less treats, period. In hot weather they tend to eat less. Some people used to shift to 20% layer rations in summer to help with this.

Try a very shallow pan with a bunch of ice cubes or a block of ice made by freezing water in a frozen food storage container. They'll explore, it eventually walking in the ice water and pecking at the ice.

You could give them a very few greens near dusk. Or you could give each one a single meal worm as an individual treat. In hot weather any treats displace valuable nutrients in their diets. A little watermelon - like no more than can be eaten in five minutes, might be OK at the hottest point of the day.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom